Author Topic: What is it with Avast and Comodo Internet Security Suite Install file??  (Read 17824 times)

PaulAuckNZ

Hmm well I dont really care what their SSL certs do. Or who uses what / when and how. Since I dont use it, and dont intend to use it. Thats not what the topic is about, or what I'm trying to find out. I'll check out the comodo forum and either post the same ? Or see if someone has already posted a similar prob
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:10:06 AM by PaulAuckNZ »

PaulAuckNZ

You really need to take this up with comodo.

I can give you a local connect if this really is important. As I say I am looking to set up my 64 xp pro again soon, so may provide some useful thoughts for me. you can email through Avast 'My Messages' on menu bar - search my user name and send your email address or some kind of connect in Auck.

Well its not the end of the world, if I cant fix it. Its just annoying that noone at Avast seems to know WHY it happens.  I dont think anyone in Auckland will know WHY this happens either, or HOW to fix it. I'll check out the comodo forum. As stated in my previous post. It also used to happen in 32 bit (but I didnt see it crash the shell), so its probably not a x64 problem.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
You still havent posted the properties of the offending file(s) in the comodo folder.

Reply post details here.

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

PaulAuckNZ

What do you mean properties?? As I posted earlier, ones the 32 bit version, the other is the 64 bit version. Of the latest version of Comodo internet security. There's only 2 files in the comodo folder obviously (x86 and x64)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:55:14 AM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I see you downloaded each of the packages 32bit and 64bit to your folder.

This thread is getting a bit pointless. The packages are a bit large to bother downloading to look over. If it is that necessary, someone will be taking time out to do it. Or they already done that. Which is why the properties of the executables might be helpful, as Igor said. A clearer picture. For your benefit obviously.

Did you see this post - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45714.msg382944#msg382944

Avast works / has always worked for me. And I mess with a fair bit of software.

Offer to email is always open. Regards.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

PaulAuckNZ

I didnt say Avast DOESN'T work. Its installed and working now. If youre talking about post 6 (Igor's post), I said it was fine in post 7. But that doesnt HELP if Avast is disabled, does it. It does open properties (when Avast is enabled), but it takes its time, freezes it (it says not responding in task manager for about maybe 5-10 secs). Then properties decides to open.

The link you posted is NOT the error 1002 I was talking about in the other post / link either. So, doesnt apply.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:52:53 AM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Install Comodo with avast! temporarely disabled. Once you get past fat installer it should work just fine.
Just don't forget to enable avast! back when you're done installing Comodo.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

PaulAuckNZ

Err I didnt say I was going to install Comodo, I posted the ? here, to see why Avast was causing the freeze, when I opened the comodo folder. Nevermind, forget I asked. Since noone here knows the answer.

Neither do comodo.

PaulAuckNZ

OK. I HAVE finally found the answer in the Comodo forum. Ashserv (Standard Shield, which is what I thought, since it doesnt happen, if you disable Avast) is causing the high CPU usage, when you hover the mouse / open the folder the Comodo files are in. Someone else (in the Comodo forum), had EXACTLY the same prob, as me. With the 32 bit version of Windows (it froze for a few secs). I know the prob isnt with x64 (since I've also noticed it in 32 bit). So, it probably has something to do with what Comodo is packed with (PEcompact 2).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I tried to reproduce the problem, but without "success".
Yes, if avast! resident protection (Standard Shield, in particular) scans the file, it takes quite a lot of CPU (and memory) because it's unpacking the stupid PECompact wrapper. The scanning must be triggered by some access to the file (from Explorer maybe? do you have any special setting of the Standard Shield, e.g. the scanning "on open"?)

So yes, Explorer "freezes" for a few seconds, I admit that... however, I didn't get any crash (and I don't see how avast! could cause it, because the scanning takes place in other process).

PaulAuckNZ

It only crashed explorer.exe in 64 bit once. It hasnt happened since (However, I didnt see it crash explorer.exe in 32 bit tho). Umm, I havent touched any of the settings. All are set at their default settings. Its just funny, that it doesnt do this, with any other file, or folder. And explorer.exe doesnt crash normally. The only time it did crash, was when I opened the folder the Comodo install files were in

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:10:58 PM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Yeah, I tried in XP x64... no crash.

cimmind

Hi Paul n others. 
Here is the link to the Comodo forum discussion on the issue.
http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews_cis/comodo_and_avast-t40406.0.html

And here is what i posted there:
Hi Speedy.
I am on XP 32 bit with Avast with Comodo 3.5
I too had noticed the same thing when i had installed Comodo, thought it happened to me alone because of my low-config setup. I have the Comodo 3.5 installer file still saved on my hard drive, and after reading your post, did a quick test.

You are right, just hovering the mouse over the file makes the system freeze for a few seconds. I then redid this after putting on Process Explorer, and its ashserv.exe (the Standard Shield module of Avast) that hogs the CPU and records furious I/O activity.

However, i would like to point out an interesting thing. I momentarily disabled the Standard shield. then right clicked the Comodo file and did a quick scan. ashquick.exe worked fine without any freezes. Scan report was:
"Number of scanned files:147
 Total size of scanned files: 120MB"

Thats huge compression. May be causing the freeze. But strange why only Standard Shield freezes, not the Quick Scan.   
-----------------------------------------

In my experience, it is only a temporary freeze for few seconds, thankfully the explorer does not crash.

IMHO, there are only about three good popular free firewall programs - Comodo firewall, Online Armor free and to an extent Agnitum Outpost. Not counting Zone Alarm free as 'good' though its quite popular.

And compatibility issues between the best of the bunch need to be discussed. I really do not know whose bug it is, but seems more likely to be an issue with comodo's packer. 

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Hi Cimmind.

Thanks for the post. The forum was getting a bit heated at times over this issue. I think your post has confirmed many of main points. I could point to the packer issue with the comodo package but I think your point about compatibility issues is more important. Necessary to work out a layered defense where everything works together without issues. The indication I get from this Forum is that avast works best with comodo firewall running as a standalone. But there may be some minor tweaking needed there as well. Someone else who uses the comodo firewall might say something more about this.

There has been some talk of avast hogging CPU but I have noticed also that CPU running max has settled down to lower percentage with Standard Shield still running. I have other services and processes running from Startup as well as avast. Also Standard Shield is expected to run more in depth scan than quick scan. I'm not sure about quick scan. I use quick scan with Mbam. I dont use it much at all with avast. Again, someone else may add to this.

I run Online Armour (paid) with avast, and I also have WinPatrol (free), Defender, and default Windows firewall running at the same time on one computer simply because there have been no compatibility issues that have caused me uninstall anything. Though I might uninstall WinPatrol if I find the spare time.

Your post will likely rouse some interest in this forum, so good move posting here.