Author Topic: SvchostAnalyzer: Cloaked Malware or False Positive?  (Read 13266 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
SvchostAnalyzer: Cloaked Malware or False Positive?
« on: May 30, 2009, 06:27:30 AM »
Yesterday I updated my Spywareterminator and ran a usual weekly scan. I was very surprised and confused with the results: ST identified SvchostAnalyzer as a TrojanGeneric. As you know, SvchostAnalyzer was developed by Neuber Software to list all svchost instances and check the services they contain and to uncover Svchost worms like the infamous Conficker worm. I have installed SvchostAnalyzer a month ago and used it without any complaints from ST till yesterday.

I wanted to report a false positive to ST developers but decided first to read Google. I have found that SvchostAnalyzer:

1) is a cloaked malware
http://www.prevx.com/filenames/143557879015720279-X1/SVCHOSTANALYZER.EXE.html

2) is clean and safe
http://www.downloadroute.com/Svchost-Process-Analyzer-A-M-Neuber-Software/antivirus_report.html

So, antivirus software (and my Avast, too) found it "not guilty" and specific anti-malware software found it "guilty". Which "jury" is right?
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: SvchostAnalyzer: Cloaked Malware or False Positive?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »
-= Try having a check at VirusTotal..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:59 AM »
Here are the results:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/d29c79f390070692b2269636243f86c8296ed2a2cb11fdc87cb783183b327082-1243667508

These are the results from antiviruses only. But what about MBAM, ThreatFire and other anti-spyware?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:11:26 AM by George Yves »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »
-= In my opinion, it may be False Positive.. Since G-Data uses BitDefender.. It can be counted as one + the detection of Vipre.. A total of 2 antiviruses detected it..

-= To be sure, like what you say, you may try a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:59:27 PM by chronoboi001 »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »
False positive of ST.
avast does not detect it as being infected.
The best things in life are free.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
I reported a FP to ST's forum but I am not sure they will correct their DB soon.

I don't want to remove my ST (it is not very reliable but it is fast in on-demand scanning and moderate in system resources consuming) and at the same time I would like to support it with another low-resources anti-malware. I already have SpywareBlaster but it only immunizes my PC. And the question is: could I install ThreatFire, for example? Would it be right to have on one PC: Avast, ST, SpywareBlaster, Trend Micro RUBotted and ThreatFire? Wouldn't I have any software conflict or high increase in resources consuming or Internet connection slowdown?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »
Could I install ThreatFire, for example?
You can... but, really, it will give you a lot of warnings about nothing...

Would it be right to have on one PC: Avast, ST, SpywareBlaster, Trend Micro RUBotted and ThreatFire?
No problems.

Wouldn't I have any software conflict or high increase in resources consuming or Internet connection slowdown?
For sure you'll notice delays on browsing and computing... three on-access scanners will have such impact.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
I have read your posts, Tech, about problems with Firefox extensions. Do these problems exist now?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
I use SVCHost Analyser too' avast!, SAS and MBAM have no objections, that and given the VT results I would say this is an FP. Especially if you actually installed this, rather than if you had no idea it was on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
I have read your posts, Tech, about problems with Firefox extensions. Do these problems exist now?
Most probably. But I never used ThreatFire again. It's more a sensation of protection that protection itself. I choose performance in this case. Also, safe browsing ;)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »
Yes, DavidR, I installed SvchostAnalyzer myself. I have immediately decided that it was ST's false positive but Prevx's File Investigation Report confused me.

The more I think the less I want to install ThreatFire. Tech says it interferes with Firefox extensions, other users say it is hard to remove it from a PC.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
Prevx seems to be getting a lot of FPs lately. Though it is easy to call a file anything_you_like.exe but it doesn't mean that it is, so it is possible that the detection is on a different file content.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »
Halio George Yves,

I lost COMODOBoClean as standalone program and real sacnner due to discontinuation of it. Then decided on installing Threatfire, and until now, have experienced any problems with this, did a full scan with it twice, updated it, some scanners have problems with the MailPassViewer there, but again just like bob3160, no problems for me. Again what free alternative is there in the line of what COMODOBoClean was?

pozdrawiam,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »

I reported a FP to ST's forum but I am not sure they will correct their DB soon.

It seems to me that ST updates their database a few times a week ... about every 2 or 3 days.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
polonus
As I understand you say that you have no problems with ThreatFire? Right? And what about problems with Firefox?