Author Topic: icon not showing  (Read 17209 times)

darnell31

icon not showing
« on: May 17, 2004, 02:57:46 PM »
I am wondering why does my avast icon not show up by the  clock anymore? just all of a sudden it stopped showing down there. is there a way to make sure that is down there.

m.m.

Re:icon not showing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 08:41:11 PM »
Darnell,

I am experiencing the same problems. I don't have the avast @-bal in my menu any longer. I am wondering if I have to uninstall the current programm and install avast all over again? Can I do this with the same registration key?

Mar

CoJo

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 11:06:14 PM »
Hello Darnell and Mar...

to quote Technical ;D
Did you already tryed to 'repair' your avast installation (Control Panel)?
You can uninstall/boot/install/boot too...

I found it in an earlier post...

Mar, if you need to reinstall, it's the same key...

Good Luck!
cojo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 12:42:19 AM »
This link might be of use:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

This entry in the avast4.ini file if not there could help.

[AAVM]
ShowTaskbarIcon=0 Suppress the system tray icon; Show it = 1

So your entry to display the Icon should be, unless I am mistaken (yet again) should be.
ShowTaskbarIcon=1
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

m.m.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 08:00:47 PM »
Section and KeysValuesNotes and value description
[UserInterface] Enhanced User Interface (Professional Edition)
Bitmapsimages
GradientFontTimes New Roman
ErrorDlgTimeout10000
RespondTimeout30
EnableSkins0
SplashTestMemory0* Do not test memory at startup = 0; Test memory at startup = 1
ResidentBalloonShown1
VRDBBalloonShown1
ShowSpecialTasks1Show special tasks (Explorer Extension, Screen-Saver, etc.) = 1; Do not show = 0
AutoDelete60Automatically delete sessions after (days)
UpdateLink/i_idt_112.htmlHomepage for updates
ShellExtensionIcon0If 0, will turn off displaying of the icon next to the avast item in the Explorer context menu; To show = 1
VirusMessageSomething wrong dude!\n\navast (VPS %4) found virus %2 in file %1 (using task %3)\n\nDo something dude!!!This entry is the actual message body that will be placed to the SMTP alert messages. The following placeholders can be used in the definition:
/n    breaks line
%1  full path name of infected file
%2  name of virus detected
%3  name of the avast task that detected the infection
%4  version of virus database (VPS file)
%5  name of the computer where the infection was detected
HomePage0405http://www.asw.cz/czech/Homepage in Czech
HomePage0409http://www.avast.com/Homepage in English
UserForum0405http://www2.asw.cz/forum/Forum in Czech
UserForum0409http://www.avast.com/forum/Forum in English
Support0405support@asw.czSupport in Czech
Support0409support@avast.comSupport in English
BuyForm0405http://www.asw.cz/czech/i_idt_173.htmlForm to buy avast! in Czech
BuyForm0409http://www.avast.com/i_idt_173.htmlForm to buy avast! in English
RegistrationForm0405http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=CZEForm to register avast! in Czech
RegistrationForm0409http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENGForm to register avast! in English

I've read almost everything of this topic in order to compare my ini file with the original settings.

I've found something strange. The part between splashtestmemory and homepage0405 is missing in the ini file on my pc.  And my splashtestmemory contains an 1, whatever that means.

Furthermore I don't know what CoJo means with the Control Panel where you can 'repair' the installation.
I've the Dutch version and I can see 'instellingen' but I can't find a place where I can uninstall/boot etc.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, can I just de-install everything and install again by internet?

By the way i'm using XP home-edition, maybe it's an known problem, because i've heard a collegue who's experiencing the same problem.

Hope there's still someone who can help me  ???

Mar

« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 08:03:05 PM by m.m. »

CoJo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:39:30 PM »
I also use XPHome...

start/settings/control panel/add&remove programs
Avast should be listed there...I am not sure if the Dutch version has repair option or just the English version.

Good Luck,
cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:21:50 PM »
I've read almost everything of this topic in order to compare my ini file with the original settings.

I've found something strange. The part between splashtestmemory and homepage0405 is missing in the ini file on my pc.  And my splashtestmemory contains an 1, whatever that means.

m.m., that was not the original avast4.ini file but my avast4.ini file commented and explained. That settings won't harm your avast installation but not all of them are added by 'default'.

Furthermore I don't know what CoJo means with the Control Panel where you can 'repair' the installation. I've the Dutch version and I can see 'instellingen' but I can't find a place where I can uninstall/boot etc. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

Control Panel
Add/Remove programs applet
avast antivirus
Choose 'Change'
A window will pop up: choose 'Repair' at left

Can you get it?

Can I just de-install everything and install again by internet?
By the way i'm using XP home-edition, maybe it's an known problem, because i've heard a collegue who's experiencing the same problem.

If 'repair' doesn't work, try what you said: uninstall/boot/install/boot and see what you get... Btw, do you have any other antivirus application installed in your system?
The best things in life are free.

etweeze

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 06:03:26 AM »
does that mean avast is not protecting you if the icon is not in the taskbar? i am missing it also

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 03:52:28 PM »
does that mean avast is not protecting you if the icon is not in the taskbar? i am missing it also

Yes, probably you are not protected without the icon (if you do not hide it on purpose with ShowTaskbarIcon=0 setting).

You can check if you have these programs (services) running:

ashDisp.exe
ashMaiSv.exe
ashServ.exe
aswUpdSv.exe

(click CTRL+ALT+DEL) to see the list...  ;)

mehere

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 09:06:16 PM »
I have the same problem and it appears when infected files come in I am not getting the notification I used to get. Downloaded and reinstalled yesterday and it ran OK for 1 day then went back to no icon showing.

Reading the previous post, I looked for ASHdisp in Taskmanager but it was not running, went into the progam file and started it then the icons appeared.

Ashdisp.exe is listed as a start up program in MSconfig so don't understand why it is not starting when pc starts.

I have tried the repair option suggested with no difference.

and the show tray icon is set to 1

Any help appreciated

mehere

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 10:18:08 PM »
Re; My previous post

although I got the ASHdisp running from the program files it kept cutting out so
out of interest I uninstalled current version and then reinstalled an older version that I had downloaded at the start of April 2004, this appears to be running perfectly, icons in the system tray and no problems.
I seem to remember being asked to update the program files over last weekend and it was from then that the lack of icon started.
Perhaps a problem in the lastest download?

mehere

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 10:20:16 PM »
Sorry meant to say I am now running Build Mar2004 (4.1.357)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 10:33:23 PM »
mehere, your version (4.1.357) has some nasty bugs that were corrected in the new one (4.1396).

What is your OS?

mehere

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 10:38:50 PM »
I am running XP pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 10:45:46 PM »
Let me ask a 'silly' question: is the icon Hidden on the system tray, I mean, if you right click on the system tray and configure the 'notifications' (I'm trying to translate into English) will it appears?

Have you tryed to repair your avast installation?