Author Topic: icon not showing  (Read 17259 times)

mehere

Re:icon not showing
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 10:47:38 PM »
Hi again,

Have just downloaded the latest update (April2004 4.1.396) and gone back to the same problem with no icon in system tray.

I am also running Kerio pf.

I will uninstall v4.1.396 and try again with older version, might just be my system!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 10:49:32 PM »
I am also running Kerio pf.

Could you try uninstalling Kerio, installing avast 4.1.396 and then, after, reinstall Kerio?
The best things in life are free.

m.m.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 10:52:49 PM »
Technical,

I finally re-installed avast (and asked for new registration, which was unneccesary).
I have tried al the other sollutions but nothing worked. Now i've got the avast icon back, but I just wanted to tell you that i'm also under the expression that since the last update (to the latest version) my icon had disappeared. And no it was not hidding on the system tray.

Well I got my icon back right now, but I keep you informed when it disappears again.

Mar

mehere

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 11:43:01 PM »
hello,

I have uninstalled kerio and avast.
Rebooted
Downloaded the latest version of Avast (4.1.396) and installed.
Rebooted
Installed kerio
Rebooted
Still no icons in the system tray. (No they are not hidden.)
When checking mail I know has virus in, no message comes up to warn me.
Uninstalled Avast
Rebooted
Installed Avast older version (4.1.357)
Rebooted
Icons back in system tray and being told again I have messages with a virus in.

Only problem now is the pop up that tells me there is a new version of the program available to download, I am loathe to do so, but don't know how to turn off the message.

Thanks for your help, I will stick with v4.1.357 for now unless you can think of anything else I could try.  I have been using it for 5 weeks now and been very happy with it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 04:13:12 AM »
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
Even in the past, did you install one?

Now I can only cry for Alwil team to help us with the version trouble...
The best things in life are free.

mehere

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 09:11:32 AM »
I have had AVG installed prior to Avast, but that was 5 weeks ago. I uninstalled AVG and used 'regclean' rebooted, prior to installing Avast

mehere

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2004, 10:24:55 AM »
One other thing I noticed with the new version, if another user is logged on (using XP pro) and I get the 'suspicious message' alert popup, it also comes up on theirs and I have to switch identity to clear it from theirs as well as mine.

Mrsrebecca

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »
I am having the same problem with the icon not showing by the clock. Can someone tell me where I can get an older version to try?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 06:46:03 PM »
One other thing I noticed with the new version, if another user is logged on (using XP pro) and I get the 'suspicious message' alert popup, it also comes up on theirs and I have to switch identity to clear it from theirs as well as mine.

This is how it always worked.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

darnell31

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 08:32:38 PM »
I'm still having the same problem.
I tried all of the above and I have the most
recent version and it still does not appear.

I got it to appear for about a day and then it went away again.

Please help with this problem

mehere

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 12:12:34 AM »
>>This is how it always worked

But the emails stop arriving because it is waiting for me to give an answer in another logon, if I did not have their password I would not be able to clear it.

I also noticed yesterday that my system restore has been turned off. When I uninstall Avast I can get System restore working, Once Avast is reinstalled System restore stops working.

I am afraid to say that although very happy with Avast for the past 5 weeks, I have spent 3 hours last night and 4 hours today trying to sort it out. I think I will call it quits and find an alternative AV

Thanks for your help, sorry it did not work out.

NT082786

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 11:16:52 AM »
OK thi is what is happening...
There is a new version of the Gaobot worm (W32.Gaobot.Alu).
It disables every antivirus and firewall software on your computer.
It steals serial numers, keys, passwords, and all of that stuff.
It uses the svhost.exe file.
Also it can play around with other software (it's fucking my Yahoo Messenger)
Avast DOES NOT recognizes it yet.

How to eliminate it:
Click start, the Run and write "regedit" then press enter.
Go to HKey_Local_Machine\Software\MIcrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
or
RunServices
Delete the svhost.exe registry.
Run a full virus scan with an online scanner that regcognize this new variant of the Gaobot worm.
Proceed to delete every infected files.

Why does it happens?

Cuz of windows several vulnerabilities (what a surprise)
So patch Windows and your PC will be fine again.

thanks.

mehere

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 01:12:11 AM »
Looks as though I owe Avast an apology and NT082786  a vote of thanks.
although something had got rid of bits of W32.Gaobot.Alu there were still some left in the registry, once I had deleted them I found I also had BackDoor.prorat.2.d which was picked up by a fresh installation of AVG. It was only after reading how the W32.Gaobot.Alu operates that I understood how the other blighter survived and escaped all attempts to get rid of it.

I think I must have become infected last weekend at about the same time as Avast downloaded the latest update and I assumed it was a problem in Avast, whereas it was the virus switching off the AV software.

Would recommend to others having the same problem with the icons not being there to check out above post for clearing and also the Symatec (norton) site to find if you have symptons of this virus. Just try W32.Gaobot into Google.

Thanks once again NT082786 I would still have been happily divulging my info to all and sundry if it had not been for your reply

CharleyO

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 05:47:39 AM »

Update! Update! Update! You should all go to Windows Update site at least once a month and then you will not get into so much trouble.    :)  

Of course, once you are fully updated, continue to visit at least once a month so that you get security updates/patches as soon as possible. This is really your first line of defence against the nasty stuff on the internet.    :)  

And, once fully updated, your next visits to Windows Update site will be quick ... and less painful.    :)  

mehere

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2004, 10:14:45 AM »
Hi CharleyO

that is the most frustrating thing, I go there at least once a week, quite often twice a week. Update my virus definitions regularly.

My children think I am obsessed with security!