Author Topic: Desktop flashing on and off (2009)  (Read 11744 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Desktop flashing on and off (2009)
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 06:01:37 PM »
You're welcome.

I think this might cure the flashing:

After you log on to your computer and your icons/taskbar disappear do Ctr + Alt + Del and then click File -> New Task and when prompted type in regedit.exe. A new window will open up and you will need to go to the folder that says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current Version -> just click on winlogon once, do not expand it.

Then you will need to locate Shell on the right hand side. Right click on Shell and change its value to explorer.exe if it isn’t already. Mine was already explorer.exe but I retyped it and entered it and it works now.

As Robert said originally, the reason this happens is the computer is having a hard time finding explorer.exe so changing this value, even if it looks correct, can help because sometimes there are hidden characters in typing that you cannot see.

http://www.askageek.com/2007/11/28/desktop-icons-and-taskbar-disappear/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

CharleyO

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »

An analysis of your last HJT log :

A newer version of service pack is available. Service packs increase the safety of your system. Visit Microsoft's windowsupdate site to download the newest version of the service pack.

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
Possibly BAD. Check if you know this process and arrange a viruscheck where required. Related to viewpoint which is usually considered foistware, usually installed with AOL.

O23 - Service: AST Service (astcc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\astsrv.exe (file missing)
astsrv.exe is a process from Nalpeiron Highend Service by Nalpeiron Ltd. and part of Nalpeiron Support File. If you are no longer using this service (file missing), this entry can be fixed. It should not hurt to leave it if you so desire.
http://www.backgroundtask.eu/Systeemtaken/Taakinfo.php?ID=15159
This executable is related to Software Copy Protection, Digital Rights Management, and Electronic Software Licensing.
http://www.nalpeiron.com/ and http://www.nalpeiron.com/products/

There were a few other questionable entries but they should be ok and no files were missing.

Overview of running tasks :

smss.exe   
System task   
Session Manager Subsystem

winlogon.exe   
System task   
Microsoft Windows Logon Process

services.exe   
System task   
Windows Service Controller

lsass.exe   
System task   
Local Security Authority Service

svchost.exe   
System task   
Microsoft Service Host Process

aswUpdSv.exe   
Virusscan   
Avast Anti-Virus Component

ashServ.exe   
Virusscan   
Avast

spoolsv.exe   
System task   
Microsoft Printer Spooler Service

IntuitUpdateService.exe   
Unknown task   
Unknown task
http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/i/IntuitUpdateService.exe.html

MDM.EXE   
Backgroundtask   
Machine Debug Manager

NBService.exe   
Backgroundtask   
Nero BackItUp

NBService.exe   
Backgroundtask   
Nero BackItUp

nvsvc32.exe   
Application   
NVIDIA Driver Helper Service

svchost.exe   
System task   

ViewpointService.exe   
Backgroundtask   
View Manager Service

ashMaiSv.exe   
Virusscan   
Avast Anti-Virus Component

ashWebSv.exe   
Virusscan   
avast! Web Scanner

ctfmon.exe   
System task   
Alternative User Input Services

SUPERAntiSpyware.exe   
Anti Add/Spyware software   
SUPERAntiSpyware

svchost.exe   
System task   

HijackThis.exe   
Application   
Merijn Hijackthis

taskmgr.exe   
System task   
The Windows Task Manager.

explorer.exe   
System task   
Microsoft Windows Explorer

raja_hec

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
Thanks so much everyone that provided such valuable information to me in my desperate hours!  It appears that the source of my explorer.exe problem was due to out of date Microsoft XP updates.  Running Secunia and installing the latest updates (still not SP3, yet!) seems to have solved my PC problem (touch wood).  I would recommend running Secunia and updating to latest Windows updates (if not all up to date) in addition to your virus scans for anyone that encounters a similar issue.

Thanks again!
Raja

CharleyO

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 12:17:09 PM »

Thanks so much everyone that provided such valuable information to me in my desperate hours!  It appears that the source of my explorer.exe problem was due to out of date Microsoft XP updates.  Running Secunia and installing the latest updates (still not SP3, yet!) seems to have solved my PC problem (touch wood).  I would recommend running Secunia and updating to latest Windows updates (if not all up to date) in addition to your virus scans for anyone that encounters a similar issue.

Thanks again!
Raja

Yes, we advocate the above all the time here on the forum ... keep everything up-to-date and use Secunia PSI.