Author Topic: Error in Repairing  (Read 11356 times)

aerialrave

Error in Repairing
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
I have no choice to delete those infected System Volume Information Infected by trojan, I'm worrying if It will affect my PC Performance. :C

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Error in Repairing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »
I'll attempt to guess where you are. You have performed a scan, and it found stuff. (Either that or you have a scan report that has some entries: "Unable to scan: the ...")
Following the scan where malware was detected, the "repair" option is not available.
If it were trojans found, they can not be repaired; the entire file is malware. Only certain system files might be repairable by Avast. And the repair is not 100% guaranteed.
(There is generally no need to delete files that are simply "unable to be scanned" following a scan. If suspicious, these files should be further investigated before taking any action.)
Any files in a folder named "system volume information" are to do with the system restore function. If they contain trojans, it is correct to delete them, but be aware that the restore point associated with that file will not be operable afterwards.

If trojans were found, it would be wise to follow up with a second opinion scanner, such as MalwareBytesAntiMalware (MBAM for short) or Superantispyware (SAS for short.)

Deleting files from the folder indicated will not effect your computer performance at all, except to void the restore point concerned.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

aerialrave

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
So, Sir. Uhm, Do you think that they will be back? D:

Coz before when I'm not an Avast! User, Stuffs like that always back :C

It's not unable to scan but, It can't be repair. I generate the VRDB. I read that It will return them exactly to their original state.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
No, the file information collected by the VRDB will have no effect on trojans. The VRDB collects and stores information that might be useful in restoring (repairing) certain system files if they get corrupted.
Trojans are a completely different animal to viruses. Trojans will not corrupt system files; they are executables in themselves. No repair is possible.

What AV did you use before Avast? How was it removed? What other security software do you have installed?

What are the names of the detections your recent Avast scan made?

aerialrave

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
Now I know. Thanks for that Very helpful explanation. :)

I Use AVG 1st before I use avast!. It detect a trojan horse in win32.

But I'm not satisfied because it scans all over and over again for a long time but
I think it don't scan very well. Before I create this topic, Avast detected some 12
infections including malware and adware. Trojan is there too, Like what I said, The trojan was in System Volume Information. I create a topic like this because I'm worrying about that infection. I don't install any security stuffs, except avast!.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »
Don't worry too much about a detection in "system volume information". It can only become active if you use system restore.
(To delete all restore points, and any trojans in them, turn off system restore, reboot, turn it back on. This should only be done if the computer is running well.)

Did you uninstall AVG? If not you need to do so, and to run the AVG remover, get it here. (For most users it will be the first tool, 32bit windows.)
2 (or more) resident AV's should not be run together. Sometimes it can be done, but usually there will be problems.

I recommend a demand scanner. Download MBAM and/or SAS. Both have free versions. Both can be run alongside Avast, no problem. The free versions are demand scanners only; no resident protection. Both are very good at malware detection and removal.

Other tips:- Consider a two way firewall. The one I use is fairly easy to work out.
 - Make sure your copy of Windows and all programs on it (Like Java) is up to date.
 - Consider an immunizing program like SpywareBlaster. This can block known bad websites.
 - Clean temporary files regularly, say, once a week, or daily if preferred. Defrag every month or so.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:54:45 AM by Tarq57 »

aerialrave

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
Yes Sir, I uninstall it with a removal tool. And I'm done also with the restore thingy.

Alright, I'm currently DL'ing the SAS. You sure that It's safe in pc's huh?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »
Superantispyware is reputable, safe, and recommended frequently at this and other forums. Good idea to ask. There are a lot of rogue programs around.

aerialrave

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
Sir, Is the link that you gave me is the full and not the trial version? Yay, Your right sir. After I install it, It detect a 2 stupid trojans lol. I'm glad that you recommend me
that one sir!  ;)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
There are two versions. The pro (upper) or the free (lower on the download page.)
If you want to install the free, and later decide to upgrade to the pro, the upgrade fee is a good deal, in my opinion.
I'm quite happy with the free version, myself.

aerialrave

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »
Yay, I DL the Pro one. D:

I guess I have to DL the free one. After this scan. I guess the 8 trojans 2 malwares
and 1 rootkit are the suspicious ones that's why when I got my PC Start up, My Documents Just appeared. D: rogue ones are everywhere. True, experienced by me. :) I'm 100% Sure that I got those stuffs in torrent DL's. I DL a Movie last week and
I'm using AVG that time so, I guess it didn't detect those ones. I'm exactly right, AVG Is just for USB Scans. I'm happy that there are so many guys like you around here that willing to help to those people who needs help. =D

aerialrave

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »

Yay, I DL the Pro one. D:

I guess I have to DL the free one. After this scan. I guess the 8 trojans 2 malwares
and 1 rootkit are the suspicious ones that's why when I got my PC Start up, My Documents Just appeared. D: rogue ones are everywhere. True, experienced by me. :) I'm 100% Sure that I got those stuffs in torrent DL's. I DL a Movie last week and
I'm using AVG that time so, I guess it didn't detect those ones. I'm exactly right, AVG Is just for USB Scans. I'm happy that there are so many guys like you around here that willing to help to those people who needs help. =D

Btw Sir, Are you sure that Free version would be fine for my PC? I can't find a good reg #. :C I Know you know how and where to find Please? :c
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:35:20 PM by aerialrave »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »
Broke my computer, once, trying to fix the registry. Some registry cleaners can be a bit too aggressive, and do damage.
If you don't know much about the registry, it can be a problem if the wrong entry is removed. Programs can stop working.

So in suggesting a registry cleaner, I'm going to recommend two that are reasonably tame. And say that you should always make a backup of the registry before cleaning it.

The popular file cleaner, Ccleaner, has a registry cleaner included. Also has a helpful forum, and many users.
Less popular, but has never given me a problem, is Tweaknow. It will also place the results into "safe", not fully safe" and "unsafe" sections. (I suggest you only remove the "safe" ones unless you know what you are doing.

Any chance of seeing the SAS scan report?

aerialrave

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 02:25:37 AM »
It scans good, but Enable real time protection can't be used. I guess, because of free Ed. I guess this's working fine now. Are you using PRO version? Did you pay for it?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 02:55:40 AM »