Author Topic: emails scanned?  (Read 11756 times)

dell boy

Re: emails scanned?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
thanks for making it a bit clearer, all this jargon isnt easy to follow but thanks, so how might i go about changing this server to a pop/smtp, does just downloading this stunnel do that or is it more complicated.
thanks in advance

dell boy

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
you say insecure, is that a bad way to use it? or is it ok when avast scans;
will i be as safe when using the wlm scanner other than avast.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
With Hotmail you are never going to be allowed to use a non-secured connection ... so this is not really an issue.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:39:56 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
WLM has no scanner involved ... it is just a plain old email client running on your system.  Hotmail does scan emails within itself.

dell boy

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »
so if i download this stunnel, i will have avast scanning them yes? or do i need something to change it to pop/smtp server?
sorry im a bit slow

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
Well ... let's put it this way ... changing your Hotmail account in WLM from DeltaSync to POP/SMTP will reuqure creating it all over again.  yuo would need to download and install STunnel and configure it and your Hotmail account in WLM to work together.  

It is not really difficult but it can be confusing.  

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
Do you use any custom folders in Hotmail? 

dell boy

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »
dont really know, just have windows live mail, and btw thats not the standard windows mail, because hotmail doesnt work on it, so i downloaded windows live mails and i just use the standard inbox/outbox/junk etc

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »
Well, there is a problem right off.  You see the POP protocol allows you to only see mails from the Inbox on the server and you cannot download any mail from the Junk folder.  So you would have to go to the Web interface to check if any mails went to the Junk folder.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »
This is straying a bit from scanning with avast and for me it is about 3am and time for bed. 

I am sending you a personal message to further this discussion if you wish.  Please look for it in the "My Messages" section at the top of the forum screen. 

YoKenny

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Well ... let's put it this way ... changing your Hotmail account in WLM from DeltaSync to POP/SMTP will reuqure creating it all over again.  yuo would need to download and install STunnel and configure it and your Hotmail account in WLM to work together.  

It is not really difficult but it can be confusing.  

I'll say its confusing.

I tried to go through the rigmarole of setting up STunnel just after my ISP made the switch to SSL and gave up.

Hotmail has good virus checking so I'm not worried about anything bad there and I would NEVER open any attachment that I see in my Junk Folder.

I use PopPeeper to check my accounts and I can delete whatever is ready to be viewed including spam and other junk:
http://www.poppeeper.com

dell boy

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
ok so i got thunderbird running with hotmail how do i set it so it can be scanned by avast? can anyone knowledgeable help
thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »
Same deal, as Alan mentioned Hotmail's POP3 service requires that you use SSL (secure encrypted) email connections and it doesn't matter a jot if you use WLM or Thunderbird or any other email client, avast currently can't scan SSL traffic.

So you would need to set-up STunnel to act as an interface to enable avast to scan this email traffic, see links below.

Whilst these mention gmail, the principal is the same I believe, unfortunately I can't be of any practical help, as I have never had to set this up, my email is standard POP3 protocol not SSL.

Gmail and Avast Providers
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dell boy

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »
may i ask what email you use?
and considering i am not much of a computer genius do you think this will be easy?
i wont be able to do much for tonight because vista sp2 is installing and apparently itll take an hour

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »
It is in my signature, OE6.

I can't answer that question as I have never had to do it, some in the forums found it easy enough, other had problems with it and you have had one such response from YoKenny in the topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security