Author Topic: Avast causes my computer to hang after every update  (Read 8921 times)

wvangosen

Avast causes my computer to hang after every update
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »
 :'(  My computer hangs after every update.  I turned off the automatic update because it would hang during an important or inopportune time.  Now when I am ready to do the updates, I will sometimes click on the pop up or open the update screen after I have been informed bu the update pop-up.  This problem just started about 3 weeks ago and is very annoying.  I completely deleted Avast and reloaded it.  No change.  What happened 3 weeks ago to your program that would cause my computer to lock up after the updates.  I haven't changed anything.  Is this an attempt to force people to buy your prof version?  If it is, it is despicable at best.  If not, please test your system to determine the trouble that was just recently inserted into the program and correct it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast causes my computer to hang after every update
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »
How exactly does the lockup manifest?
I mean, can you still move your mouse cursor? Can you maybe select the icons on the desktop, but when you click them, nothing happens?

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
What is your operating system?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
Which is your firewall?
Did you have any other antivirus before avast in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

wvangosen

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 03:59:54 AM »
"How exactly does the lockup manifest?
I mean, can you still move your mouse cursor? Can you maybe select the icons on the desktop, but when you click them, nothing happens?"

I can usually click on one icon, then nothing happens and I can not click on any other icons, but the mouse still moves.  I can not shut down by selecting start and shutdown, nor can I click CONT,ALT,DEL.  I have to hold the power button and force a shutdown.

"What is your operating system?"

I don't know what difference this makes as I have changed nothing since I loaded the program initially, but it is Windows XP Pro with SP3.

"Which is your firewall?
Did you have any other antivirus before avast in this computer?"

I do not have any firewalls except for the antivirus that I know of.  I do have another antivirus installed that has always been there as well (Trend Micro).  I have changed nothing in the Trend Micro settings either.

As I stated, this has happened in just the last 3 or 4 weeks and I have changed nothing.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:04:01 AM »
Maybe you have a undetected virus that's trying to pend avast from updating. But I'm not a pro at this so wait for another user to respond.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:12 AM »
You need to completely uninstall the other antivirus.
Even though it may seem illogical, because they seemed to work together for a time and now they do not, that is almost certainly the cause of the problem.
For detailed instructions see here.
If you don't run a third party firewall (Avast is not a firewall; the network shield provides some additional firewall-like protection) it is seriously advisable that you make sure the windows firewall is turned on.

Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 04:23:30 AM »
I was writing this when Tarq57's post came in. I will post it anyway.

My computer momentarily hangs as well, to allow the update to come through. There is a moment there. I have to wait. If I am doing something - clicking the mouse, more than once, say - the computer may hang and I have to wait for it to right itself, which is does quickly enough. But once I realise the update is coming through, I stop what I'm doing, to avoid locking up CPU processing. A computer will multi-thread but still really only does one thing at a time (by binary reasoning).

I dont know if this is your problem but Im sure others will know what I mean. There is a moment there where I have to wait for the update to complete. With a faster computer I would not have this problem, perhaps. But I am happy to put up with any minor inconvenience like this as long as my online protection remains up to its present standard.

Im am not actual saying that this is the problem that you are having.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 04:35:36 AM »
Actually, I do have the similar experience to mkis, as my computer sometimes goes into go-slow mode with some Avast updates. Not all, just some, maybe a third of the time. When I notice this I just bide my patience, it's over in maybe half a minute.
wvangosen your problem sounds more severe, and is almost certainly contributed to by the presence of the other AV.

wvangosen

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
I was writing this when Tarq57's post came in. I will post it anyway.

My computer momentarily hangs as well, to allow the update to come through. There is a moment there. I have to wait. If I am doing something - clicking the mouse, more than once, say - the computer may hang and I have to wait for it to right itself, which is does quickly enough. But once I realise the update is coming through, I stop what I'm doing, to avoid locking up CPU processing. A computer will multi-thread but still really only does one thing at a time (by binary reasoning).

I dont know if this is your problem but Im sure others will know what I mean. There is a moment there where I have to wait for the update to complete. With a faster computer I would not have this problem, perhaps. But I am happy to put up with any minor inconvenience like this as long as my online protection remains up to its present standard.

Im am not actual saying that this is the problem that you are having.

Thanks for responding, however, my computer hangs after I get the complete screen and I have waited for over a half an hour to allow it to start working again and i have a new Dell XPS (a pretty fast machine).  Is this the same as your machine?  My next question would be to wonder if this is just a laptop issue?  Is there some compatibility issues with the XPS?  This happens after every update.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »
I can understand how you might wish to load avast on your system.

However, it has already been made clear that to do this you will need uninstall the other antivirus, which in this case you have informed us is Trend Micro. If you do wish to uninstall Trend Micro you will need to make a good job of it otherwise remnants are likely to be left in your system and continue to interfere with the smooth running of avast. Tarq57 has already told you this.

Even though it may seem illogical, because they seemed to work together for a time and now they do not, that is almost certainly the cause of the problem.

Furthermore you should always run a firewall over and above your Windows default firewall. But that is a matter you can deal with once you have your antivirus situation sorted out. It is possible that your system may have been infected over the 4 weeks so it would not hurt to run a HiJackThis scan and post a log for us to look at. This would help clarify the situation.

Click here - http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file here.
You may have to post the log file in two or more parts if the whole log wont fit in one post.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:09:46 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

wvangosen

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »
I can understand how you might wish to load avast on your system.

However, it has already been made clear that to do this you will need uninstall the other antivirus, which in this case you have informed us is Trend Micro. If you do wish to uninstall Trend Micro you will need to make a good job of it otherwise remnants are likely to be left in your system and continue to interfere with the smooth running of avast. Tarq57 has already told you this.

Furthermore you should always run a firewall over and above your Windows default firewall. But that is a matter you can deal with once you have your antivirus situation sorted out. It is possible that your system may have been infected over the 4 weeks so it would not hurt to run a HiJackThis scan and post a log for us to look at. This would help clarify the situation.

Click here - http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file here.
You may have to post the log file in two or more parts if the whole log wont fit in one post.

OK, I unloaded the Trend Micro and am putting all my faith into the AVAST.  I will wait until the next update to see if this cleared up the issue.  If it did not, I will come back and perform the operation you have listed above and post the results.  If it does work, I will come back and post that as well.

BTW, I am using a wireless router that has a firewall in it that is active.  It is a Linksys, however, the error was occurring anywhere I went, whether I took my laptop to work or on vacation, I had/have the same problem.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »
Unloading it won't do the job. It really needs to be uninstalled. Unloading (terminating, I guess you mean) could still leave drivers and other stuff active.

Jima

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:50 AM »
Since I know mostly el zilcho about the subject, I should probably keep my mouth shut.
But:  I had the same general problems around avast! updates and is the period just after.
The Techs here (some of the same ones trying to help you) quickly sent me in the direction of finding out how much memory (RAM, I think) I had.
Since it was low, they suggested Crucial.com for an assessment and upgrade.
A $45 memory card arrived in two days, installed in 2 minutes and totally solved the problem, as well as some others.
Maybe you will be as lucky.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 02:51:48 AM »
wvangosen, avast won't work with Trend Micro in background... Disabling is not enough...
The best things in life are free.