Author Topic: Support for Win98SE  (Read 9965 times)

pixturesk

Support for Win98SE
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »
I notice in the system requirements for Avast free that support for Win98SE will not continue after 2009. Will I be able to continue getting the virus definitions for  Avast Home free 4.8 after 2009, (continuing to apply for the annual license) without updating to newer versions of the program itself? I am still continuing to use Win98SE very successfully (with a private programmer supplying updates, patches, hotfixes  up to Feb/09 + further with annual updates). Avast Home has been superb for a non-techie, non computer generation type,  like me, love to continue using it!! If I can continue using Avast 4.8, what a relief!! Thanks, Ken.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Support for Win98SE
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:10:34 AM »
Nothing has been confirmed beyond the end of 2009, so no one other than Alwil can answer that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pixturesk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:46:46 AM »
The only reason I am asking is because that line about Win98SE/ME seems quite specific on the system requirements page. Will someone from Alwil perhaps reply to my question? (I am off to sleep will check back in the morning) Thanks again, Ken.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:00:18 AM »
I guess you're referring to this line from that page:
Note: The operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4 will be supported until the end of 2009.
If you take that at face value - and no reason why you shouldn't I guess - it would be reasonable to assume that sometime after 2009 support will cease.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

pixturesk

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Bottom Line. I just want to know whether the premise of my original message might, in fact, be acceptable, so that I might continue using Win98SE which is very much my comfort level. If not, then I have to look at installing Win 2k Professional SP4, which many feel is Microsoft's top OS or XP Pro SP3 or switch completely to a Mac (no registry in a Mac so very little chance of virus or spyware) which I have been experimenting with, I think that Mac is very much the future!!. Thanks, Ken.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
Seeing as how Win 2k Professional SP4 is slightly after Win98SE then it might work but XP is in the wane and Vista is current and Windows 7 is just over the horizon I guess that if you have the money and the applications work on the Mac then Apple may have another customer.

By the way, avast! works on a Mac.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
Hi,

Support for the current version of Avast may continue until late 2010 but when it stops so will the updates.

I have W98SE and I have installed Xubuntu dual boot because Linux is virtually infection free.
I use a few PortableApps for Windows via Wine as per the image below.

Else, it takes about 3 minutes to boot into W98SE.

My regards

PS I use the Avast program for Debian Linux in Xubuntu to protect me from Windows infections and there has been no announcement that its support will cease. I also use the Xubuntu firewall which many would regard as overkill.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »
avast! 4.8 will probably continue alongside avast! 5 for about 12 months after 5 is released. It could be as early as July 2010 or it could be January 2011! I think there'll be plenty of warning whatever the end date is.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

pixturesk

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »
So Vladimyr, just to sum up, what you are saying is that even if 4.8 has support even to Jan. 2011, after that date no virus definitions will be available for Avast Home 4.8, that it will become non-functional? Will support for Win 2K Pro SP4, which is like XP Pro SP3, continue after Jan. 2011, which might be my preferable alternative? If that is the case, that gives me plenty of time to either install Win 2K Pro or Win XP Pro or switch to a Mac. I notice that Avast for the Mac requires a minimum system spec of Tiger 10.4. I currently have an iMac G3/400 with Panther 10.3.9, which rules out Avast. ClamXav has a free version for Panther, which might become the Mac choice. Thanks, Ken.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
This is all speculation as I have seen nothing official specifically stating that from Alwil software, so if any respondent has seen that I would welcome the reference.

There have been the usual rumours/suggestion that Virus Signature updates may continue on version 4.8 beyond the end of 2009. But, I haven't seen anything official on that, so I don't believe it wise to make decisions based on speculation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike Buxton

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
Hi David R,

This is what igor said on 2nd May 2009

"avast! 5.0 wasn't released yet - and when it is, it will be avast! Home/Professional first; the update for server and network editions will come later. So, my personal guess is that the 4.x support will be prolonged and won't stop at January 2010. But it's just my opinion, no promises/guarantees."

I take vital decisions based upon on the best information available so I already have Xubuntu and the guy who's asking the questions has already tinkered with MAC.

So you recommend action and we agree with you. On the one hand where, in this thread, was it recommended that a decision be deferred? On the other hand, for those who opt for a second Operating System - that may not actually be needed until late 2010. However, on the third hand the world may end on 31st December or even today (except that it's already tomorrow in Australia).

My regards

pixturesk

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »
Mike, you have put it into perspective. I, we,  just want someone from Alwil to give a definitive response. The problem for me as a Win98SE user is that the only free alternative remaining is ClamWin. I hesitate to ever return to Norton because of the bloat, the way it slows the performance of my computer, so I am just trying to plan as a non-techie, not of the computer generation, in case a change is inevitable, can't take a chance on virus exposure if I continue to use a Microsoft OS. I am prepping Win 2k Pro SP4 + Win XP Pro SP3 just in case. The Mac alternative is easy because viruses are, so far, not a problem. It is a shame if we cannot continue using Avast, which has been so reliable, effective, intensive in coping with the ever growing virus crisis. Avast is simply, IMO, the finest anti virus program available. Just continuing to offer definition updates seems, in my non-technical opinion, to be a reasonable stance. Thanks, Ken.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »
Yes that is Igor's 'personal' view which as he qualified "But it's just my opinion, no promises/guarantees.

So any likely support extension for avast 4.8 & win9x/ME going beyond the end of this year would I guess have to be made in the next few months.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
Hi Ken,

(1) There is little chance that you will get a quick answer as to when W98SE will cease.
(2) It is costly and difficult to continue support for W98SE and only for the benefit of us few.
(3) Microsoft gave up on us years ago.
(4) It would be churlish to criticise ClamWin since it is free but Avast is hugely more effective.
(5) My advice would be; implement at least a temporary alternative to W98SE by 31/10/09.
(6) Never mind all the technicalities - just see the wood for the trees.

Hi David,

I am inclined to consider what igor says very seriously. I am usually equally in favour of treating all your thoughts just as seriously, except that you have just made a guess after stating guesses are useless?

My regards to all

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »
That doesn't change the facts, my guess is that at some point a decision will have to be made, that is however, an inevitable fact, the only guess is when the decision will be made.

So until it does then what we know for a fact is really what has to be used for forward planning.