Author Topic: How to remove taskbar icon?  (Read 11420 times)

eddan

How to remove taskbar icon?
« on: June 09, 2003, 01:30:42 PM »
How do I remove the taskbar icon? I've disabled the resident protection, and the standard shield. When I right-click the taskbar icon and do "stop on-access-protection and exit" nothing happens. I don't like that my taskbar gets filled with all these annoying icons, so I would like to remove the Avast icon!

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:How to remove taskbar icon?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 01:47:48 PM »
Use MSCONFIG.EXE to disable all Avast components which are loaded at  startup, but be aware that it will come back after each Update, or kill the ashdisp.exe via the Taskmanager.
MfG Ralf

techie101

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 11:42:39 PM »
Eidan,

I know that you said you dont like icons cluttering your tray, but AVAST is the one icon you should leave.
If you want to remove the "i" icon, then right click on it, and select the "merge with main Avast".
The "a" icon assures you that Avast is functioning, and when it is checking files and emails.  This is one of Avast's features that make the program so great.

But if you want them removed, then raman's instructions will do the trick.

Good Luck

eddan

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 01:12:51 PM »
Thanks guys! Seems there is no easy way to remove it forever, but maybe I'll let it stay there.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 09:04:36 AM »
eddan,

if all you want is to get rid of the icon, you can do this by opening the file called <avast-folder>\data\avast4.ini, and adding the following line to its[AAVM] section:

ShowTaskbarIcon=0

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.