Author Topic: WINDOWS XP - WINDOWS KEEP SHUTTING DOWN AFTER NUMEROUS VIRUSES (MALWARE)  (Read 5415 times)

Lolina

I currently have Avast Home Edition. I am on Broadband. Lately, I've been getting numerous viruses since playing Farm Town on Facebook. Now, my computer just keeps shutting down when I access the internet. The viruses I keep getting are Malware. When Avast warns me of a virus, it would warn me to "Abort Connection", which I do.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!
I am a newbie to this. I have restored my computer during the mean-time. So far, my computer seems to be fine. I have scanned my computer numerous times.
Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:39:05 AM by Lolina »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
-= I would recommend that you try a Boot Time Scan and/or download Malwarebytes Antimalware install, update & have a scan.. It would be nice if you post the results here.. ;)

-= A Hijack This log may also help..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:32:13 AM by -= Fenrir =- »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

dansorin

try first a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware (which is free). also, I hope you are using a firewall.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
What makes you think you're getting viruses from Farm Town, Lolina? Google doesn't say that there have been any problems with Farm Town itself? I haven't actual gone there, but a lot of people still seem to be using it. And as I say, there is no alert on it.

It might help if you went to HiJackThis and ran a scan of your computer
Click here - http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file here.
You may have to post the log file in two or more parts if the whole log wont fit in one post.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

John2009

You may have what we  call a boot virus, which hide in the boot sectors. They like to play with your power button sometimes.

cinchez

Maybe u nid to download and install MBAM^^

Hehehe follow wat Fenrir said^^

-AnimeLover^^

Lolina

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your support.
I downloaded Malwarebyte Anti-malware and did a scan of my computer. It came up with 321 infections which is quite a lot. I happily removed them. When I had to restart my computer and logged back on, I had a pop-up screen come up saying my Firewall wasn't on, but, yet when I checked it was definitely on. Strange.
As for how do I know it's from the game Farm Town? It's found on Facebook. I still play it. But, the last "Abort connections" were from coconut trees that I had just harvested which stated this. Plus, every time I played Farm Town, would be when I have my problems and "Abort Connections" would pop up warning me that it's a Malware. Plus the fact that I am not the only one who got infected from playing Farm Town. These other people I do not have any other type of access with except to play the Farm Town game. Yet they have been infected. I guess these last lot just topped up my infections????
But, a lot of them were Adware Video Eggs or Shopping and I honestly do not know what they are.

Thank you all for your support and feedbacks. So far, my computer is running good and I am very grateful. I thought my Avast antivirus program was sufficient enough, but, obviously it isn't.

Kindest Regards
Lolina

cinchez

Ur Welcome^^

Well, no antivirus product is PERFECT^^

Its better if u ADD more layers to ur protection^^e.g. anti spywares

-AnimeLover

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
-= 321 infections..? That was just a little above average.. By the way, you just said that you scanned your computer many times.. What are the antispyware/antimalware [or antivirus] that you used before to scan..? Beware of rogue antispyware/antivirus..

-= Moreover, please reboot & post/attach your Hijack This log file so we can check whether there are hidden threats left.. ;) God bless..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:46:30 PM by -= Fenrir =- »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Hi Lolina

Mbam is a good way to rid yourself of spyware infections. It is not unusual to pick up these infections on Facebook - there have been numerous reports about this - and ad-aware type malware is very common. If you continue to go to the same places you will need to keep updating and running Mbam to rid yourself of these infections you are picking up.

When avast is warning you with 'Abort Connections', it is only doing its job. if you are still getting this alert at Farm Town, then you need to be careful. But it does seem strange that Google has not put any alerts on Farm Town when a lot of people are getting infections.

It always pays to run both antispyware (like Mbam or SuperAntiSpyware) and an antivirus program like avast. You also need a good firewall over and above the Windows default which seems likely to be the firewall that you have found was on.

If your computer is running good now, then that is fine but it might pay to run a HiJackThis scan just to make sure. Particularly if you keep picking up infections. Here is how CharleyO replied to my first HiJackThis log -

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=43746.msg366301#msg366301

Here is how you use HiJackThis to run a scan of your computer
Click here - http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/qsg

Download and run.
Then do scan and save a log file.

Post the log file here.
You may have to post the log file in two or more parts if the whole log wont fit in one post.

Otherwise good luck and best regards.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:11:39 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.