Author Topic: Spyware doctor has blocked the low risk threat adware.adsponsor  (Read 4492 times)

heatsink

I receive a popup window saying spyware doctor 6.0.1.440 has blocked the low risk threat adware.adsponsor
when going to some websites or clicking on a link on a web page. I select block, not allow when popup appears.

Details-Spyware doctor has blocked an application attempting to access a file
Infection-C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/_AVAST4_/UNP41212734.TMP  The infection is always an avast temp file.

cinchez

Re: Spyware doctor has blocked the low risk threat adware.adsponsor
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »
Try uploading the file to Virustotal^^(www.virustotal.com)

It should tell whether it is a good detection or a false one^^
(for me, probably a false positive^^)

-AnimeLover^^

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:23:10 PM »
Spyware Doctor is detecting an avast false positive, a temporary avast file.
Maybe you can exclude C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/_AVAST4_/ from Spyware Doctor scanning.
The best things in life are free.

heatsink

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:10 AM »
How do you exclude these avast temp files from spyware doctor scanning. I just got another one.
Went to safeway.com,  popup window appears with high risk threat.

Backdoor.Codbot.Gen  Block or Allow(Chose Block)
Infection: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_AVAST4_\UNP260327387.TMP   Another avast FP?

Does anyone have spyware doctor 6.0.1.441 who can help me? I could turn off the intellishield in doctor, but then I wouldn't be fully protected.    :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »
What does it say in the help file about exclusions/whitelist, etc. surely it has a help file ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

heatsink

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
David,

Global Action List in Spyware Doctor 6

To add a file:

Open the program > Settings > Global Action List > Add.
At the 'Select data type: ' dropdown box make sure you select 'File on disk'.
Browse for the 'executable file' (.exe file) that opens and runs the application in question.
Once the file is selected, at the bottom dropdown box make sure 'Always allow' or 'Always Block' is selected, then click the 'Add' button.

To add a website URL or cookie:

Open the program > Settings > Global Action List > Add.
At the 'Select data type:' dropdown box make sure you select 'website address/cookie'.
Type in the URL of the website or cookie.
Once the file is selected, at the bottom dropdown box make sure 'Always allow' or 'Always Block' is selected, then click the 'Add' button.

Which avast .exe or website should I block?  AshWebSv.exe?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
I don't use spyware doctor so I don't know anything about how it functions.

You have to exclude the the files in the _avast4_ folder, this is where avast unpacks files that it is going to scan.

The problem is it doesn't look like you can exclude folders in spyware doctor unless there is something about selecting a folder or if it uses wildcards in the same way as avast does.

The second problem if you can only select a file e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_AVAST4_\UNP260327387.TMP this file will never be recreated again as the name is random to all intents and purposes. The only thing that remains the same is the folder location and the UNP and .TMP parts the numbers in the middle change. So if it allows wildcards you would add something like this C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_AVAST4_\UNP*.TMP (assuming that the * is the wildcard).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Seffrid

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
This was never a problem until the last week or so.  I get it now every time I access massively.com . It seems to me that it's something that has been introduced with an update from either Avast or Spyware Doctor. I'd have thought it was for those two companies to sort out where the conflict is and fix it rather than for their customers to have to reduce their security settings in order to over-ride an alert on the assumption that it's a false positive. We don't install security suites in order to get round them by making such assumptions!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »
I'd have thought it was for those two companies to sort out where the conflict is and fix it rather than for their customers to have to reduce their security settings in order to over-ride an alert on the assumption that it's a false positive.
Well... two programs in conflict because they're trying to do the same: to protect your system the program should "own" the files, fully access, and they fight for only one to win, so... you will choose to make an exclusion (exception) that won't harm your system or be self confident in only one of them. Remember that avast has antispyware protection too.
The best things in life are free.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
Hi,

Avast's detection rate was well over 3 times that of Spyware Doctor in a recent test.

Spyware Doctor was recently reviewed as identifying many False Positives.

Spyware Doctor was recently reviewed as failing to uninstall properly.

This Forum is generally helpful but it seems unlikely to be the means to fixing your problem.

My regards

smage

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
Hi,

Try posting it on the PC Tools forum as it appears to be a Spyware Doctor false positive.

http://www.pctools.com/forum/

Thanks

Seffrid

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »
Spyware Doctor was recently reviewed as identifying many False Positives.

And which of the two programs had to be hot-fixed last Friday because its update introduced a false positive  ;)?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:07:36 PM by Seffrid »

Mike Buxton

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »
Hi Seffrid,

I am not aware of your reference but if your inference is that Avast is not perfect; then I'm not aware anyone ever claimed that it is infallible.

However, this thread is related to a specific problem where the ball appears to be in another court; namely that of PC Tools.

My regards