Author Topic: MAPI mail profiles created by Avast - What are they for?  (Read 2465 times)

VanguardLH

MAPI mail profiles created by Avast - What are they for?
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »
Windows XP Pro SP-3
Avast 4.8.1335

When Outlook gets installed, it includes the Mail API (MAPI).  That allows defining mail profiles usable by Outlook (along with providing an API that 3rd party apps can use to send e-mail data to whatever is the current MAPI client, which is Outlook).  I only had one mail profile defined. 

I went into the Mail applet in Control Panel and noticed that there is an AvastPstxxxxx mail profile (where xxxxx are a series of numerical characters).  I don't know if Avast installed this mail profile when it was installed, at some later program update, or due to some operation it performed.  Wondering why Avast thinks it needs its own MAPI mail profile.

I already read http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42855.0 but that doesn't resolve why Avast creates this mail profile.  It basically went unresolved in that thread.

I do have the Outlook add-on from Avast installed and enabled.  But a different mail profile has different e-mail accounts defined within it and usually involves a separate message store (.pst file) unless you're just using mail profiles to switch "identities" (to emulate that feature in Outlook Express).  I'd like to know why Avast thinks it needs this mail profile and what might happen if I delete it.

VanguardLH

Re: MAPI mail profiles created by Avast - What are they for?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »
Guess Alwil is keeping this one a secret.