Author Topic: Is the Use of Registry cleaners safe?  (Read 23387 times)

Jahn

Re: Is the Use of Registry cleaners safe?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
A very good question, AnimeLover. :)  I have never had a problem using the Software section of RegCleaner 4.3. It's a very old program (freeware from 2002) but is still available from MajorGeeks and Softpedia, and is helpful in removing leftover registry entries from programs you've uninstalled (automatic backups are enabled by default).

On a similar note, has anyone experienced a problem using the registry cleaning portion of Revo Uninstaller? Personally, I have not, but have only used it less than six months.

sham1313

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 12:38:16 AM »
I have to be careful in how I state this to make sure I say it. I have mixed feeling on the cleaner now. I have made at least 4 mistake in downloading cleaner that were suppose to help me fix some thing. when I found out they were rogue I unstalled and and either the malwarebytes or the superantiSpyer along with using the avast scanner after. I was sent the URL to bleeping.com to help me clean up my computer. witch they did. how ever the one that help me said I should unstall  any cleaner. because they created more problems then they were worth.
    Like I say I have mixed feeling about this so for now I am not using any.  hope this does not confuse you. :)
Sharon sham1313

Umm im quite puzzled about this topic and i nid ur suggestions on this...^^

So if it is safe, can u pls mention a couple of examples?^^(aside from CCleaner^^)

Thanks^^

-AnimeLover^^

sham1313

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »
     I am glad I found this subjest because I have not long ago just a few days ago got help from bleepingcomputers to make sure every thing was clean on my computer because in the last 4 to 6 month I have download 4 cleaners and they  turn out to be rogue and I had to unstall and run malwarebytes and or superantispyware to clean my computer. also after that acorse I ran the avast scanner. I told the person that was helping me. I had been using ccCleaner and that I had registry cleaner and new they were not rogue. witch one would she would recamend and she said I should unstall both that any cleaner can cause more trouble then it is worth. I have mixed felling about this now. I hope to check back soon and see what every one think of that. I did like she ask and unstalled them an now I am using none.
thanks Sharon

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:36 AM »
On a similar note, has anyone experienced a problem using the registry cleaning portion of Revo Uninstaller? Personally, I have not, but have only used it less than six months.

-= I will never dare to use Revo again.. After bricking by system simply because of uninstalling Bonjour..?!
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 09:48:33 AM »
Yes, I have. Very quickly learned it was because I checked all the items in bold in the registry section.
What is needed when examining the registry part of the cleaner is to expand all the items, right down, and only ticking the bold items in the expanded entry. I had deleted the whole branch. In that case, I only had to reinstall a program to put things right, but without a little care, you could easily prevent the computer from starting.
I would not be surprised to find that is what happened with Fenrir.

Have not had any problems since that learning experience. It works well.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »
Yes, I have. Very quickly learned it was because I checked all the items in bold in the registry section.
What is needed when examining the registry part of the cleaner is to expand all the items, right down, and only ticking the bold items in the expanded entry. I had deleted the whole branch. In that case, I only had to reinstall a program to put things right, but without a little care, you could easily prevent the computer from starting.

-= And its my fault to put too much trust on it believing it will handle everything correctly.. There, I learned to judge a software by user reviews & personal experience over popularity..
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »
It will handle everything correctly, normally.
Was I right about not expanding the tree?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sham1313

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »
this is a copy paste of what the wrote me in one of her post. I thought it would fit right in this part of the conversation.
Sharon :)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
It will handle everything correctly, normally.
Was I right about not expanding the tree?

-= I opened the tree pane but, I couldn't understand a single thing so, regrettably, I hit the fix button.. I learned my lesson since then.. By the way, since then, I still cant completely uninstall Bonjour service.. Any ideas how..?
avast! 9 RC1

sham1313

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
      I don't know if it would work here but any time I was unstalling netzero I had to do it in safe mode I. let me know if that is worth a try or not. I am not good at doing any work on the computer all I know is for netzero and a couple of other things I had to do it in safe mode.
Sharon

Jahn

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »

Thanks for the tip! When I first installed Revo I was expanding each bolded tree, but found each sub-key was also bolded, and I didn't bother anymore. I will pay more attention from now on. This is a perfect example of why having a backup plan in place is so important. Actually, I have two in this regard. Erunt runs a daily registry backup, and I create monthly disk images with Acronis. I wouldn't lose much, even in the worst case scenario. ;D

Jahn

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »
-=By the way, since then, I still cant completely uninstall Bonjour service.. Any ideas how..?
Re-install the same version of Bonjour on top of the old installation. Reboot, and try uninstalling again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
Bonjour isn't a required program and considered by some as ad/spyware.

-- How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe - This is considered a non-essential, not critical component as related to ITunes. - See http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/mdnsresponder.
How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe

Also see www.serophos.net/au-revoir-bonjour for a tool to automate this process so you don't have to manually remove as in the above link.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Also see www.serophos.net/au-revoir-bonjour for a tool to automate this process so you don't have to manually remove as in the above link.

-= :o Looks like Serophos guy is bidding a farewell.. He seems to be fed up with freedloaders.. ;D

-= By the way, thanks for the links, I'll now download iTunes without a doubt & fear.. ;)
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »

-= :o Looks like Serophos guy is bidding a farewell.. He seems to be fed up with freedloaders.. ;D

-= By the way, thanks for the links, I'll now download iTunes without a doubt & fear.. ;)

That is a shame he has called it a day.

Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security