Author Topic: Is the Use of Registry cleaners safe?  (Read 23384 times)

sham1313

Re: Is the Use of Registry cleaners safe?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 01:40:23 AM »
a few post of on the one I said was going to be a copy paste about the registery cleaner I for got to paste it so here it is now Sharon

Hi sharon this looks very good and clean.
Avast is a good antivirus. Keep it updated at least weekly and scan at least weekly. Do the same with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware.

I do not like registry Cleaners so I will ask that you dump registry genius.
You maay have leftover entries in your registry from Norton. So i want you to run this tool. It will remove all traces of the unused AV. Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
DO NOT worry about the Product key as you are not re installing.

CCleaner
Registry Cleaners and Malware Removal

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, we do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, we don't recommend using registry cleaners in general.[/quote]

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system unbootable.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Further, improperly removing malware related registry entries could hamper the disinfection process. Full system scanning anti-spyware programs like SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will remove the registry entries as well as the related files which results in a more complete removal process. However, there also are specific fix tools created by experts which are used for removing malware and related registry entries. These types of tools are safe when used under proper supervision and guidance.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:18 AM »
The key words are right at the end of this reply:
These types of tools are safe when used under proper supervision and guidance.
Either you fall into that catagory in which case using these tools should be safe.
If your not in that catagory, either turn the task over to some one who is or, leave well enough alone.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

sham1313

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 03:59:33 AM »
the copy past I did was to me from bleepingcomputer after I downloaded reg tool thinking it was going to help me fix media player and of course it did not. I ask if she could tell me witch would be better to keep and she said none
Sharon

Offline phil2

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 02:20:37 AM »

Does anyone have any thoughts on Advance System Care.  I recently purchased it but after reading this post am now wary of its registry fix.
Appreciate your help.
Windows 7 home service pack 1 64-bit
avast! Pro Antivirus     Malwarebytes Pro resident
    Winpatrol Pro

sham1313

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 03:06:05 AM »
I have not herd of the one you bought but I am not very good doing computer work. a few post up you may have red what I copy pasted that bleepingcomputer.com wrote me saying not to use them at all that they can cause more harm then good, but some people I know use them and they work the way they are suppose to. it maybe one of those deals if you are good at doing the computer then you can use them for your benifit. if not they can work against you. Please take what I say like a grain of salt because I am trying hard to understand and learn about what we are talking about. what is best for the computer, but I make a lot of mistakes
 :)Sharon ;D

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 04:17:14 AM »

Does anyone have any thoughts on Advance System Care.  I recently purchased it but after reading this post am now wary of its registry fix.
Appreciate your help.

-= I have no intentions of bashing Advanced System Care but, from what I experienced, it modified some of my registry entries in a not-so-right way.. Like setting WaitToKillApp & WaitToKillService value to 5000; meaning, 5 seconds to let a program or service shutdown & if it exceeds 5 seconds, process is forcefully terminated, so, as a result, unsaved data & some errors.. This may seem unreasonable for high-end computers, but, as of now, majority of PC's do not have that fast capability to complete a task in a short period of time [and I do belong to those slow PC owners]..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline phil2

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:40 AM »

Sharon/Fenrir
Thanks for your thoughts   :)
Windows 7 home service pack 1 64-bit
avast! Pro Antivirus     Malwarebytes Pro resident
    Winpatrol Pro

Northeast

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »
DavidR

just look at the ccleaner settings

Hi DavidR do you know what settings are safe in the ccleaner registry section in which box to check and what not to check cos I was thinking of cleaning my registry but I decide not to, because I have alot of unstalled programs like power dvd that it didn't remove all the files from the registry.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »
I think that registry cleaners are very powerful so as to delete files that are denied alos isn't it?And deleting important files may cause to very big problems!

-= File shredder..?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
DavidR

just look at the ccleaner settings

Hi DavidR do you know what settings are safe in the ccleaner registry section in which box to check and what not to check cos I was thinking of cleaning my registry but I decide not to, because I have alot of unstalled programs like power dvd that it didn't remove all the files from the registry.

I don't use ccleaner to clean the registry so I can't advise what settings would be considered safe. Safe is not a term I use too frequently, especially when playing with the registry, before doing anything in the registry you should back it up or have a good recovery strategy just in case.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security