Author Topic: Avast Error Message after startup WinXP  (Read 4107 times)

AvastUser

Avast Error Message after startup WinXP
« on: May 18, 2004, 11:26:27 AM »
Everytime I startup, I got a popup saying [port 25 is being used by another program] Go to help and change settings if your NOT using Outlook/Exchange.  However, I do use outlook. So changing and playing with that [avast4.ini] file did not help. Also using TCPview tool did not give me any clue to solve. A lot of information but no program using port 25 which seems to have the most priority to use it or which is going to use it initially when I start up.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast Error Message after startup WinXP
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 11:29:02 AM »
Do you use full Outlook or Outlook Express?

AvastUser

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:32:40 AM »
Office XP - OutLook (full)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:51:43 PM »
Just run the Mail Protection Wizard and select "Automatically remove protection from all my accounts". That should stop Internet Mail provider from giving that error message. (Outlook is protected by the Outlook/Exchange provider - that will still be active).

AvastUser

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 02:02:30 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
I stopped SMTP services (Administrative tools->Services) and have reset it to manual start (InternetInformationServer -> the default SMTP virtual server has now a nice red bold dot with a with cross in it), restarted Windows XP and the Avast Error message stays away.
 ??? ??? ??? ???
Avast now seems to have the priority to scan outgoing mail????

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:57:31 PM »
Avast now seems to have the priority to scan outgoing mail????

If you just disable the Internet Mail provider (mark with red cross), avast will only scan full Outlook (not Outlook Express or any other email client). I won't talk about priority but will scan or won't scan. Like Shakespeare: to be or not to be  ;D
The best things in life are free.