Author Topic: no license key in license.dat?!  (Read 15939 times)

mneiman

no license key in license.dat?!
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:51:16 AM »
Today I purchased Avast Pro Family Pack, after using the evaluation version of Pro. I received the confirmation email with License.dat attached but I can't for the life of me figure out where to find the license key I'm supposed to paste in to the 'about Avast' dialog box. I saw a how-to video on the web site that shows a section in the file that basically says here's your license key below, but nothing like that appears in my file, and I've read through the whole file - and tried to insert every number sequence I found in the dialog box but they all result in an Invalid Key error message.

I'm no expert with computers but usually pretty good with whatever I need to get done. This has me stumped.

I sent an email to support@avast.com but don't know how long it will take to get read and replied to.

Anyone have any quick solution? Am I blind?

thanks ...

onlysomeone

Re: no license key in license.dat?!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:10:38 AM »
Hi!

Usually the e-mail support is quiet fast...

I don't know if this works, but I somewhen heard that you can open the .dat-file you received via e-mail with the editor or something like this...
Try to rightclick the file --> open with --> Editor...
And then you should be able to see the license key in there...
Not sure if this really is possible... but I'm sure someone else will try to help you soon. ;)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:48:53 AM »
You should have received an email that contains your license key.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

mneiman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »
Just to clarify: I DID receive an email with a file attached called license.dat, but neither the email, nor the license.dat file (which I opened with notepad) contained anything that was labeled as or looked like a license key.

There were some numbers in the file, and I tried them all, but no luck.   :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:07:46 AM »
In the avast Pro Family Pack I believe you drop the complete license.dat file into an avast folder.

I think that the Family Pack comes in conjunction with the WHS (Windows Home Server) version, this is an Extract from the WHS Help file.
avast! WHS license information

The license for avast! WHS is in the style of a license file. You will be sent this, via email, upon making a purchase. You will then need to save the file to your WHS server, ready to be loaded into avast! Once saved, you should open the avast! WHS console, select the licensing option and choose insert license file. You can then browse the file system within the WHS server, for where you saved the file, select the file, and click OK.  The file will then be loaded into avast!

Should you have purchased the 'avast! Professional Family Pack', then this includes avast! professional licenses for upto 10 machines (in your household).  The license information for this is included within the license file and can be deployed to each machine by selecting the Deploy avast! professional edition license to all computers button.

So I don't know how you would apply the license.dat file if you aren't also running the WHS version with the avast Pro Family Pack. Is there no help file with that which can give you a pointer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mneiman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:43:52 AM »
Right, I'm not running WHS. I've been reading the Help files, both that came with Avast and on the web site, but no luck finding the answer yet.

Am I crazy? It shouldn't be this hard to figure out how to register a program I've just purchased?!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Well I don't use the same version you have, but the bold text in my quote from the WHS version refers to the  'avast! Professional Family Pack' and "the Deploy avast! professional edition license to all computers button." so there must be some sort of Console or control function for this.

Unfortunately I can't be any practical help as I don't use the same version as you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mneiman

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »
 :-\
Curious: I received a reply from Avast sales today simply telling me to use the free program and apply for a refund ...

Does that mean there isn't a solution to my problem? I don't know. I think it's a bit odd.

I'm not sure how to request a refund but if that's what they say, I'll do so.

Still seems strange ...

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »
Hi again!

An avast! team-member now confirmed that you can open the licence.dat-file with notepad and find the key inside this file.

The License-key should look something like: W123456789ABCDE1234-ABC1234D
(of course different numbers and letters and a bit mixed...) ;)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
I have asked for clarification (you aren't the only one to whom this will be of interest) on how you go about deploying the licenses if you aren't using the WHS Edition which effectively comes with the family pack.

It certainly seems strange of sales to say you can apply for a refund, I would have thought that they would have said how to go about that also. I would hold of for a short time to see if we can get clarification on how to deploy the licenses.

I'm not sure there is a license in the license.dat file (as your title states), but if so in theory you can't use the same one on multiple copies of avast pro, which would mean there would need to be 10 in the license.dat file. This would be a waste of license numbers as it is I would think unlikely that a family in the one home has 10 systems.

Swdfsh

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »
Bought the Avast Pro Family Pack today and have run into the same problem. The License.dat file that I received in my email does not contain any obvious license keys. There is a single long series of characters at the very bottom that starts with ASWSign but have not had any success with it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »
Still nothing back on this from my seeking clarification.

mneiman

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
Hello Swdfsh -

exactly the same in my license.dat file - nothing that looks like a license key (although I tried them all), and one long series of numbers at the end starting with ASWSign - tried pasting that in too but still got an error.

I sent another, longer email to the person who suggested I ask for a refund, will all the details I could think of.

Will post again when I get another reply.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »
I hereby confirm that there is a problem with the license generator (it seems that in some cases, it fails to include the Pro license keys in the Pro Family Pack license file). We're looking into it and hoping for a quick resolution.

Apologies for that.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Thanks for the update Vlk, hopefully it won't take long to be resolved.