Author Topic: udpates cause false Win32:JunkPoly with Delphi BPL, anyone else?  (Read 4695 times)

the1whodidit

We are getting a bunch of support calls today about our software not working and a "Virus found" message with Win32:JunkPoly as the cuplrit.  We haven't changed the BPL file that is suspect in years and checking out on VirusTotal.com found nothing wrong.  I haven't found a way to get around this except turning AV off.  I added the entire dir to the exceptions list and that didn't work.  Help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: udpates cause false Win32:JunkPoly with Delphi BPL, anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
There are two Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

Can you inform the file as being a false positive? (click on the bottom right of the virus warning message).

To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. You can use VirScan also.
If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
There are many topics on this in the forums with some .bpl files, first ensure that you have the latest VPS update as there has been a correction to this detection.

Scan your file again to see if that resolved it.

You probably added it to the wrong exclusions list (the one in the Standard Shield for resident detections is the one needed) or didn't enter the path correctly. Excluding a whole folder rather than a file or file type leaves a hole in your security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

the1whodidit

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I tried again and it looks like the latest updates fixed things.  Sweet!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

daddybear

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:20 PM »
Good Afternoon

When faced with the false warning on 29.5.09 I followed the advice to put the affected files in the Virus Chest - I am a beginner and so knew no differently.
I now have the following files(associated with Spyware Doctor) in the chest:-

C:\ProgramFiles\SpywareDoctor\~LU6.tmp
C:\ProgramFiles\SpywareDoctor\~LU7.tmp
C:\ProgramFiles\SpywareDoctor\PCToolsComponents.bpl

Following advice elsewhere in these forums I waited for the correcting update and then restored the files. As stated in the "help" section I expected that these would then disappear from the chest but they haven't done and are still there.

The Spyware Doctor programme is now working perfectly again and I don't know what to do with these files.
If I delete them,will this cause damage to the Spyware Doctor program or is it OK to just leave them in the chest indefinitely?
Please can someone help me sort this out ? - in basic terms please as I am fairly new to computers and still only learning.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:43:58 PM by daddybear »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »
A copy remains in the chest, once you confirm that the files have been restored to their original location, then it is safe to delete the ones in the chest.

This is more to ensure that a copy remains (in the chest) just there is a problem in restoring the original as you wouldn't want to have lost the only file.

daddybear

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
A copy remains in the chest, once you confirm that the files have been restored to their original location, then it is safe to delete the ones in the chest.

This is more to ensure that a copy remains (in the chest) just there is a problem in restoring the original as you wouldn't want to have lost the only file.

DavidR

Thank you for your very prompt reply to my query. I am sorry to be so late in replying, but have unexpectedly had to spend this last week away from home.

All programs (including Spyware Doctor) appear to be working properly and so I shall follow your advice and delete the "copy" files still in my virus chest.

I very much appreciate your help and advice in this matter.

Regards, Roy.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

A belated welcome to the forums.