Author Topic: Say goodbye to IE6!  (Read 4276 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Say goodbye to IE6!
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:30:02 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Loads of users haven't updated and are still on IE6. This is 20% of the browser users and the numbers for firms are higher still 42 % of machines there still run IE6.
High time for all to click this link: http://ie6update.com/

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

onlysomeone

Re: Say goodbye to IE6!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
Hi Damian!

I think this is a good idea and hope that it is going to be successfull!  ;)

I have no homepage where I can implement it, but I anyhow tell everyone to update/upgrade his browser. :)

It would be interesting how many websites include this "information bar"...

yours
Sebastian

(picture from "svg online")

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »
So what, IE6 is still a supported application, because it was an integral part of XP hone and XP Pro it will be on the same support lifecycle as XP which is June 2114 I believe.

So all the wishful thinking in the world won't change that, especially for business.

I have said it before the site that tries to dictate which browser I can or can't use is a site I won't visit, so sod off is my attitude to this high and mighty crud. When someone pulls this high and mighty holier than thou stroke on me, all it makes me do is dig my heals in and vote with my wallet and sod their site. Even though I don't use IE if at all possible, IE6 is still on my system do I feel vulnerable not in the slightest from those with IE7 and IE8 is still early days to say anything.

The problem with your chart that doesn't break down the IE Exploits/advisories by version nor does it give a list of outstanding advisories for a fully patched IE6 so to me this is smoke and mirrors and FUD.

I hate IE for its integration into the OS (I would get rid of it completely), but I equally hate those that think they can dictate what browser people can or can't use. Because before you know it, it will be older version of firefox for those on older OSes and then older versions of Opera or Safari, I think you get my drift.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:41:43 AM »
So what, IE6 is still a supported application, because it was an integral part of XP hone and XP Pro it will be on the same support lifecycle as XP which is June 2114 I believe.

So all the wishful thinking in the world won't change that, especially for business.

I have said it before the site that tries to dictate which browser I can or can't use is a site I won't visit, so sod off is my attitude to this high and mighty crud. When someone pulls this high and mighty holier than thou stroke on me, all it makes me do is dig my heals in and vote with my wallet and sod their site. Even though I don't use IE if at all possible, IE6 is still on my system do I feel vulnerable not in the slightest from those with IE7 and IE8 is still early days to say anything.

The problem with your chart that doesn't break down the IE Exploits/advisories by version nor does it give a list of outstanding advisories for a fully patched IE6 so to me this is smoke and mirrors and FUD.

I hate IE for its integration into the OS (I would get rid of it completely), but I equally hate those that think they can dictate what browser people can or can't use. Because before you know it, it will be older version of firefox for those on older OSes and then older versions of Opera or Safari, I think you get my drift.

+1

Just an additional comment to your fine assessment...

On my Vista partition, it's Firefox, Thunderbird, and OOo. That's my personal choice, but, no matter what I would use, I would use NOTHING, that is integrated, and offers direct access to the heart of a Windows operating system.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »
I don't get it why ppl just don't upgrade to IE8. It's like so much better than IE6 or IE7 function and secure wise.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

cinchez

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »
@RejZoR

Agreed...IE8 is more stable and secure than its previous predecessors, IE6/IE7..^^

Its more functional and its improved...Little vulnerabilities for lesser exploits^^(IMO, maybe)^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
-= Somehow, a little heavier.. Especially when with lots of tabs..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
I don't get it why ppl just don't upgrade to IE8. It's like so much better than IE6 or IE7 function and secure wise.

Because people love their dear old Win98 system.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 06:23:37 AM »

Because people love their dear old Win98 system.
I still see lots of Win98 systems around. My Church has 5 computers: 3 old PII systems with Windows 98 and 128MB of RAM and two new Dell OptiPlex systems that we bought a few months ago with XP Pro. And I can tell you that the windows 98 systems are going nowhere soon(unfortunately). Ive been trying to get them to upgrade for years but they still work and until they die they wont upgrade them. At least I did get them to Get off of the old 384Kbps DSL connection and on a nice 3Mbps Business Class Cable connection from Charter.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

BlakeFebruary7

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »
if it was up to me, i would completely wipe out all traces of internet explorer on every computer on the face of this planet. why?

1. its slow (even IE8)
2. because its the most used, its often exploited.
3. it crashes constantly (even IE8)
4. its simply not worthy of competition with other browsers like Opera, Google Chrome, and Firefox.

iddawg717

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58:21 AM »
Well let me put my two cents into this issue.
I still running IE 6 my self for one reason. I have tried IE 7 and eventually the program will freeze up or go non responsive. I have heard the same for IE 8 as well.
I have Fire Fox set as my default browser and use it 99.9% of the time. The only time I will use IE is if I have to chat on line with a site rep. concerning a tech supported issue. 

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
My $0.02CDN

IE8 is on all of my systems and even an old 2.4MHZ P4 with 512MB RAM that I am trying to sell have not had IE8 act up yet.

It is probably due to the fact that I know how to tune my system for good performance of IE8 and that I have used every version of IE since it came out and know its weaknesses and strengths.

Discussing which browser is better is like discussing that chocolate ice cream is better than black cherry ice cream that pedantic persons are wont to do.

Its good that there is a choice of browser and my favorite is IE8.