Author Topic: Not A Administrator Anymore!?!?!!?  (Read 47229 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Not A Administrator Anymore!?!?!!?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
I usual set the Admin password when loading the operating system (XP).

What shows at normal boot then is the user accouints - mostly limited accounts and perhaps one is also admin account. Lets say I'm setting up a desktop PC for a family to use - the children each has their own limited account with own password and the oldest child or a parent may also have an admin privs on their account because they are expected to be in charge of things for the benefit of others.

The admin account which was set at load up time is the Administrator's account and only shows up in Safe Mode, Recovery concole, etc...it is not the same admin account that a parent or older child has (although it can be) and doesn't show up at normal boot. You boot into Safe Mode and use Administrator when you need to troubleshoot the system.

If no password is set for Administrator when first loading up the system, then there will be no password for Admin in Safe Mode. When asked for a password, you just click through on the empty password box - that is, instead of entering anything in the box. Like Frank says - this is the default setting - and this can be a handy option to have --

The Safe Mode Administrator account is there so the clued-in can reset passwords if the clue-less forget them. It has no password by default.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:11:45 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »
Hi FwF,

Let him sweat a bit, he has no other option than completely reinstall, for he has willingly forced his system to go "bunkers". We advised him to completely re-install the Operational System and avoid the mistakes he has made again and again up to now- that is unsafe and insecure practices online. But I wonder whether that is a workable option as he is talking "hacks" etc. all the time (that is for another forum I guess) still seems to be seen. Other visitors wise up after visiting here, but some dumb down,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »
It asked for a password. :(
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »
I'll try searching the following on google:
how to bypass administrator privileges
how to bypass administrator password in xp
how to bypass administrator rights

So....... until then, syanara. ;)
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."