Author Topic: how to stop a program going on the web  (Read 18019 times)

Z4G

how to stop a program going on the web
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:47 AM »
not a clue how to stop a program accessing the web so can someone help me out with this please. thank you

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: how to stop a program going on the web
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:59:47 AM »
Can you provide more details?
Your operating system? Service pack? Antivirus you use?
Program that is accessing the web?
What are you seeing on your screen?
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:02:39 AM »
You can always try a firewall that allows you to see the actions and allow or deny. For example, Download PCTool's Firewall plus and use your computer normally, if it shows a file you don't know, you can choose deny. And/Or remove the file manually.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Z4G

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »
i'm running windows7 64x with avest, im trying to stop the sims 3 from going online

and i need one to work on a 64x bit platform

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »
Download PCTool's Firewall plus and when it says Sims wants to acess the internet, click deny and save my choice.

Z4G

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:30:10 AM »
Download PCTool's Firewall plus and when it says Sims wants to acess the internet, click deny and save my choice.

it only works on 32x not 64x i jsut tryed it

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »
Is there a option to disable SIMs from accessing the internet on the SIMs program?

Z4G

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 01:35:48 AM »
nope already looked for that

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:39:50 AM »

Z4G

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:45:40 AM »
thats why i want to stop it going on the net

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:53:48 AM »
not a clue how to stop a program accessing the web so can someone help me out with this please. thank you

Presumably you aren't using the server version of avast since you aren't using a server OS, so this should have gone in the avast 4 Home/Pro forum.

avast isn't a firewall so it can't do that - Firewalls are what you use to block access to the internet, so what firewall are you using ?

Does win7 not have a firewall like Vista, if so that would probably have outbound protection (probably not very user friendly), but probably like Vista outbound protection is disabled by default.

This is compatible with Vista 64bit, so at least it is compatible with 64bit OS, but I don't know if that would stretch to win7. Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, see http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Z4G

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »

Presumably you aren't using the server version of avast since you aren't using a server OS, so this should have gone in the avast 4 Home/Pro forum.

avast isn't a firewall so it can't do that - Firewalls are what you use to block access to the internet, so what firewall are you using ?

Does win7 not have a firewall like Vista, if so that would probably have outbound protection (probably not very user friendly), but probably like Vista outbound protection is disabled by default.

This is compatible with Vista 64bit, so at least it is compatible with 64bit OS, but I don't know if that would stretch to win7. Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, see http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/

sorry i posted in the wrong section and windows 7 is so much more user friendly then vista but its the same rubbish firewall that vista has so that says it all and things don't have to be digatialy signed with the 64x bit of windows 7 so it has a use now to normal people but i'll try that one now thank you very much

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
You're welcome, let us know if the free Outpost Firewall works with win7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Z4G

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »
You're welcome, let us know if the free Outpost Firewall works with win7.

no it dosen't work with the 64x but it does work with the 32x thought

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
Strange, since it works on XP and Vista 64bit OS, so I don't know what is different in win7 that stops it from working.