Author Topic: Unable to run Avast 4.x Home on W98 unit  (Read 11270 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Unable to run Avast 4.x Home on W98 unit
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
I forgot. While 98SE supports USB 2.0,  nearly all USB flash drives need a driver before they can run on a 98 system. I remember when the flash drives came with a little disk that had the 98 driver on it, but nowdays I dont think they bother. I tried an old Transcend disk to see if the driver would work on my Kingston Flash drive but no luck. I'm positive that I used to have a work-around, but its too long ago.   ::)

Have a look at this link which will help with the Flash driver issue for windows 98.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Mike Buxton

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
Hi nightshade and W98SE users,

Thanks. That is the program I have used so effectively - but just to add, its use is restricted to W98SE.

My regards

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »
a W98SE USB2 Universal Driver that has worked, for me, with all makes of flash sticks without conflict with any specific drivers

Yes sir, I would very much appreciate to post the driver if you manage to dig it out. I've set up my PC for everything else now except USB. But I don't mind hunting one down myself if you can't find it.

In the end I just searched the chips on my mboard to track down the drivers, and ended up with a few of those bundled packages that cover a range of chipset releases. The Intel 98SE INF utility for my 810e chipset carries this far - For IntelĀ® 810/815/820/830/840/852/855/860/E8870 Chipset families !!!!

I'm just hoping my USB VMC lite modem will be compatible.
Specs - 4GB HDD, 256 ram (2 x 128 Kingston double-sided), all devices onboard.

I am realising tonight that I know very little about email.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
Yes sir, I would very much appreciate to post the driver if you manage to dig it out. I've set up my PC for everything else now except USB. But I don't mind hunting one down myself if you can't find it.

I have already posted a link to the files you are looking for.

:)
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 07:55:01 PM »
Okay I have just downloaded. Thank you very much.  :)  :)

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
Okay I have just downloaded. Thank you very much.  :)  :)

Let us know if it works for you, it certainly works for me.

;D
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »
Oh drat. My VMC lite is not compatible with Win 98.

I can still use the PC for a courtesy service - I remember now that I did run Win 98 with avast in a courtesy computer a while ago. For a few different people. And I recall them being satisfied about the setup. I think a couple of them were on dial-up. Anyway, what I might do is find a student with a hookup through hostel or home network to run a PC for me - they will have to stay with 98, have to run avast, won't have to pay for PC or for maintenance, or for tuition. I think good compromise. For now, I am left with 3.5GB out of 4GB capacity. Not bad. I will probably look to a 10 or 20GB HDD for this computer. Enough for small Office 2000 suite, and storage for data and picture files (schoolwork) .

Let us know if it works for you,
I noticed that install was not totally straight-forward, and will do final tasks in next few days when I tidy up the files and folders. A few drivers missed so I have bits and pieces here and there. I set time aside this week and will report back here. Still to load avast. But I am quite impressed with the outcome. I haven't loaded 98 for a while. Right now, however, I had better get onto a few other things, before I get sidetracked.

Thanks for help Mike and nightshade.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:39:04 AM by mkis »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 12:21:49 PM »

Hey I couldn't help myself. I was thinking bout it most of the day.
So I just went and loaded the USB2 Universal driver, and you might guess it was an absolute cracker.
Down this part of the world, that means its something pretty special. So many thanks. My computer is now complete. I'll give it a crank up every now and then, until I find somewhere it can get some internet time in. It certainly works for me as well.   

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »

Hey I couldn't help myself. I was thinking bout it most of the day.
So I just went and loaded the USB2 Universal driver, and you might guess it was an absolute cracker.
Down this part of the world, that means its something pretty special. So many thanks. My computer is now complete. I'll give it a crank up every now and then, until I find somewhere it can get some internet time in. It certainly works for me as well.   

Glad to know we have been a help to you.  ;D
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

MickeyDM

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
System restore was performed to earliest point which was 09/05/2002 for some unknown reason to make matters worse and W98 updates were performed before attempting to update Avast.

System Restore was not introduced until Win ME. You seem to have initiated a reinstall of the earlier Win95 that is probaby updating service releases up to 95 OSR, but because no USB, probably not up to OSR2. If upgrade to Win 98, then should support USB.

{snip}

W98 registry is backed up each day as rb*.cab and stored in \sysbackup directory for a total of 5 days.  Restore is accomplished by booting to DOS and running scanreg command. This unit had to be in W989 directory to execute the scanreg command but a system restore did occur.

The box has a pentium processor [ can't remember exactly what and am not at the location] and 63 mb ram which is odd number but complicated by onboard cache.