Author Topic: Extremely Slow Performance On Windows 98 Second Edition  (Read 16761 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Extremely Slow Performance On Windows 98 Second Edition
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 06:11:48 AM »
Did anyone mention Ghost 2001?
I think the technology is different.
GoBack is a sector to sector backup/restore tool.
Ghost is a partition/disk/file backup tool.

Hi Tech

I mentioned Ghost 2001 for a couple of reasons.

1/. It's another product purchased by Symantec and discarded (maybe with good reasons as Windows versions came and went) in favour of Powerquest's techniques.

2/. After all these years, IMO the executable 'ghost.exe' run from a DOS-compatible partiton, bootable floppy or CD, is one of the most brilliant little programs ever made. It's 99% error-free and so FAST.
Ghost was primarily a cloning tool (disk to disk, partition to partition & sector to sector) which also does compressed images. Later versions were marketed as backup tools.

Having said all that.. it's probably not much use for a laptop with only one hard disk.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
it's probably not much use for a laptop with only one hard disk.
It could be useful if you have more partitions (even space for a full partition copy, like I'm luckily have ;))
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »
It could be useful if you have more partitions (even space for a full partition copy, like I'm luckily have ;))

Yes. First thing I did when I "inherited" my old Compaq 1220 (with "huge" 1.7GB hard disk) was to create a 2nd partition at the end of the disk, large enough for a compressed Ghost image of its Win98SE installation, which I could then copy to another networked PC for safe keeping.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Mike Buxton

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »
Hi All Famous,

I still use Ghost 2003 occasionally to clone to a Hard Drive or DVD. When I bought it all those years ago I didn't know Ghost 2001 was better.

My first proper experience was with the Sinclair Spectrum ZX80 (48 KB memory) and when I wrote a complex program with huge logic and some 250 data elements I had to delete the used program lines to make more space for the program to continue. Even so, it was impressive.

Then I bought an Amstrad Luggable with 20 MB of drive apace and 640 KB of RAM and a 6 inch screen.
With PCTools  from Central Point Software and SuperCalc the old DOS based spreadsheet, which I still use, it ran superbly.

I still think GoBack (second hand) might be a good solution though it might be cheaper to buy a second hand machine for a few "dollars" rather than spending a similar amount on extra RAM.

My regards
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:02:42 PM by Mike Buxton »