Author Topic: Help for a newb  (Read 2440 times)

dokter123

Help for a newb
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:36:52 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to the forum so the purpose of this post is at least partly to just say "Hi" to you all - and to then tell you I hope I never have to return here for any reason other than to perhaps say "Hi" again. ;D

I do have a question however - I am configuring a download manager and as one of the set-up options I am asked how to call my virus scanner, and what command line switches are required to scan a recent download. I know that Avast is actually scanning that download already, but would still like to know exactly what program is being called to scan specific files, and what those switches might be. And perhaps this is a second question (or same question, second answer) - when I R. Click on a file and request a scan of that file, what program is being called and what switches are being acted upon? Is it the same command (plus switches) as the one I asked about for my download manager?

Thank you for your assistance.

D.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help for a newb
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »
Assuming that you installed avast! in the default folder, this is the path needed to scan downloads, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe. No switches required by avast.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike Buxton

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
Hi,

All my downloads are placed in a folder I named "1st_Base" and then I copy them to to their final destination. I leave all the original downloads that I decide to keep in 1st_Base for many months.

Thus, as I never acquire files by any other method (e.g. CD) I almost never do an Avast scan except for a right click context menu scan of 1st_Base. So if Avast has catered for any new infections since I downloaded it's a quick process for what is an almost 100% check.

As Avast checks my downloads in any event I set my downloader to open ClamWin so that I can update it then close or scan just the file downloaded.

Sometimes I do a pre-check using Dr.Web online (via IE or Firefox).

I use Noscript and WoT which in combination with MailWasher and Avast has, for me, been fully effective thus far. Hardly any False Positives and not a single infection found since I started using Avast in May 2008.

My regards

dokter123

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »
Thank you folks for your prompt and helpful replies.

D.