Author Topic: Scanned email not showing up in client or chest  (Read 3653 times)

WV-Mike

Scanned email not showing up in client or chest
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »

Greetings,

I recently noticed an email being downloaded by my email client but not showing up in any of the mail boxes.
I checked the Avast internet mail scanner and it showed a specific email with a specific subject line as the one last scanned.
However, this email was not in any of the mail boxes.

I checked the chest and there are no recent files there.

Anyone know what might have happened?
Anyway to generate a report showing what actions have been taken?

Thanks,
-Mike
www.EpicRoadTrips.us

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scanned email not showing up in client or chest
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:50:54 PM »
What is your email client ?

If avast didn't alert on the email and you didn't elect to send it to the chest then it wouldn't be there. The only report 'entry' that would be created is when a detection is made and that would be in the avast log viewer, warning section, but since you don't say if anything was detected then I doubt there would be any entry there either.

avast scans in the localhost proxy area and if no infection is found it gets handed off to your email client to deposit in the inbox or other depending on the client and any filters you have applied.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WV-Mike

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:12:13 PM »
What is your email client ?

Thunderbird 2.0

If avast didn't alert on the email and you didn't elect to send it to the chest then it wouldn't be there. The only report 'entry' that would be created is when a detection is made and that would be in the avast log viewer, warning section, but since you don't say if anything was detected then I doubt there would be any entry there either.

avast scans in the localhost proxy area and if no infection is found it gets handed off to your email client to deposit in the inbox or other depending on the client and any filters you have applied.

I have to say, I am not sure what this all means.
See the attachment.
I show an email as being scanned which never ended up in the mailbox.

Where to go from here? I have no idea how much mail is "disappearing".
Thanks,
-Mike

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »
avast scans and alerts to infection, it doesn't move it to any folder in your email client, so it 'should' be in your inbox.

If an email is considered infected then avast alerts, your image and previous post basically confirm there was no infection detected or you would have known (the avast alert is both audible and visual and wakes the dead) and the Last infected: field would have had the email detail in there. So avast doesn't move it anywhere and it 'should be in the inbox,' as I mentioned earlier.

Some email clients have anti-spam incorporated and also direct spam to a specific folder (MS Outlook for one), I don't use Thunderbird, but it has the ability to use add-ons and I don't know if you have any that may deal with spam ?

Other than that I don't really know where you might look. Other than to send out an email to your self and see what happens to that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WV-Mike

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »

The emails are not showing up in the trash folder like others which the SPAM filter directs there.

I have had SPAM filters set up since I started using Tbird about a year ago, so I am acquainted with how it works.

I find this whole thing very disconcerting as the attachment clearly shows an email Avast scanned, but the email (s) are nowhere to be found.

Thanks,
-Mike

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »
Have you looked in the Junk folder in Thunderbird rather than the Trash folder?

WV-Mike

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »
Have you looked in the Junk folder in Thunderbird rather than the Trash folder?

I have no folders called JUNK.
All mail flagged as SPAM goes to the TRASH folder.

-Mike

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:52:17 AM »
So, did you override the default settings of Thunderbird which is to use Junk folders and not move to Trash?