Author Topic: windows firewall-avast 4.8 pro  (Read 6923 times)

george56

windows firewall-avast 4.8 pro
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »
Hello,
I saw that after the Avast 4.8 home ed. was installed,windows firewall,was still active.
Is this a need,or can i turn it off.
George

intrepid44

Re: windows firewall-avast 4.8 pro
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
Avast home does not have a firewall, leave windows firewall on until  you find one you like. You can try pctools that works fine for me with avast .  But make sure you have your firewall on .

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
You absolutely should have a firewall active; it is the primary filter for what your computer is exposed to on the web (after a hardware router, if connected.)
The Windows firewall does a fine job of inbound protection, but has very little outbound control, which may be important. Certainly worth investigating if you want to use a two way firewall, like the one mentioned above.
Avast is an antivirus. It does (IMO) a fine job of filtering what you then might choose to connect to, that may have been compromised.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

george56

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 01:32:15 AM »
Thank you all for the information, i thought that Avast home was an internet security programm that has a firewall included.
Thanks again
George

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
Thank you all for the information, i thought that Avast home was an internet security programm that has a firewall included.
Thanks again
George
No, it's an antivirus only (yet). On avast 5, by the end of the year, we'll have the option of a suite (antivirus + firewall).
The best things in life are free.