Author Topic: Hourglass when no internet connection  (Read 5476 times)

jesse

Hourglass when no internet connection
« on: May 19, 2004, 06:04:34 AM »
Hi again,

since installing Avast and then completely uninstalling Norton, I now have an hourglass when the system is not connected to the internet.  As soon as I connect by way of DSL or dial-up, it goes away.  Any thoughts?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Hourglass when no internet connection
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:55:32 PM »
Hi again,

since installing Avast and then completely uninstalling Norton, I now have an hourglass when the system is not connected to the internet.  As soon as I connect by way of DSL or dial-up, it goes away.  Any thoughts?

Jesse, sorry for my poor english, but what is an hourglass?
Are you talking about freezing?
The options for dial-up and/or DSL are on avast settings > Connections both Normal and Advanced. You can configure a proxy filter too (if you use it).
The best things in life are free.

jesse

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:23:28 PM »
Thanks for the response.  An hourglass is the little icon that appears next to the mouse arrow when something is running on the computer.  It isn't frozen, just doing something.  Once I connect to the internet (Earthlink), the hourglass goes away.  Then, when I disconnect from the internet, it stays gone until I reboot.  Any assistance is much appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the response.  An hourglass is the little icon that appears next to the mouse arrow when something is running on the computer.  It isn't frozen, just doing something.  Once I connect to the internet (Earthlink), the hourglass goes away.  Then, when I disconnect from the internet, it stays gone until I reboot.  Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks for the hourglass explanation.
Can you do any other think or the system freezes and you can only reboot?

Doing something could be trying to update, scanning something (if the 'a' blue icon is spinning). I need some more information.

jesse

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:49:58 PM »
Yes, I can start programs and work as normal, but the hourglass is bothersome, especially since it wasn't doing this before.    The 'a' is spinning, but even if I disable that, the hourglass remains.  Sometimes it flicks off for a second or two, but then it comes back.  Does this added info help?

I will try changing some of the settings regarding the connection to see if that helps.  

jesse

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 02:49:04 AM »
Hi again.  I tried changing the Basic and Connection settings and that didn't help.  There DOES seem to be a connection with the spinning 'a'.  It wasn't spinning before yesterday and I didn't have this problem (course I still had Norton on the PC).  So now I have a spinning 'a', and and hourglass cursor except when I am connected to the Internet.  Please help!  I began by trying to help with the viruses that my friend was getting on her PC and now, although the viruses appear to be gone, there is the hourglass.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 04:16:56 AM »
(course I still had Norton on the PC).

NOOOOO!!!
You're in trouble... Your system won't be stable untill you clean and uninstall Norton. Generally, two antivirus at the same system will crash it  :'(

Let's start doing it...
1. Uninstall NAV with Control Panel applet.
    Boot
2. Download the specific uninstaller from Symantec web site
3. Run it and boot
4. Try to repair avast installation

post the results... This will be a sage... everything could happen  :(

jesse

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 05:07:32 AM »
I didn't say this quite right.  I no longer have Norton on the PC as I did the uninstall from the Control Panel yesterday.  Before that, I didn't have the spinning 'a' and didn't have the hourglass.  I didn't try the uninstaller from Symantec, I just followed their instructions on how to uninstall.  I only see the uninstaller for 2003 and this PC has 2004.  I could do the manual steps they suggest if the Add/Remove programs doesn't work.  What do you suggest?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 01:59:46 PM »
I didn't say this quite right.

Sorry, I'm quite sure this brings trouble.
I know it's hard but the best, and secure, would be format and install everything again.
I know it hurts... I have to do it in the past  :'(

But first, I suggest:

1. Try to find the uninstaller at Symantec webpage for NAV 2004. Run and boot.

2. If you do not have any other Symantec product, try to delete the related folders. Maybe C:\Program files\Common files\Symantec shared; C:\Program files\Symantec; etc. (see under Windows and Windows\System32 if there is a related folder there.

3. Run a registry cleaner tool (see here).

4. Clean the Symantec drivers at the following Registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\\VDD