Author Topic: Avast + MBAM as resident  (Read 7102 times)

acidkillz2001

Avast + MBAM as resident
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »
Guys,
      Im new here at the forums. Is it ok if my resident is Avast and MBAM? Pls. advice

Thank you and more power Avast!  :)

acidkillz2001

Re: Avast + MBAM as resident
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »
By the way my firewall is COMODO
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:43:45 AM by acidkillz2001 »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:16:36 AM »
Is it ok if my resident is Avast and MBAM?

Yes. Good.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

acidkillz2001

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:18:02 AM »
thank you mkis :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:36:52 AM »
Looks fine to me.  Might want to add some "hosts" file protection as well, but that's up to you.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
Hi acidkillz2001.

Sorry for being so abrupt before. As scythe944 says you still have options that you can add to make your defense plan even more effective. With avast resident and MBAM you have good bottom-line, and from what I gather COMODO is very good firewall (with avast - as stand-alone unit set apart from comodo AV suite). I've never used comodo firewall so I cannot comment further on it, others here have so some info will be available in the forum.

You can work well off your bottom-line and strengthen your defense layers, "hosts" file protection is certainly a good strategy, but two AV resident is not good defense policy.

All good advice forthcoming from avast forum contributors like scythe944, so clever move coming here. My experience is that it just keeps getting better.

Regards

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:35:35 PM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »
I would suggest other firewalls due to the interaction with avast:

Online Armour
PCTools
Outpost Firewall Free
ZoneAlarm (last option)

The best things in life are free.

acidkillz2001

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »
Ok, I will change my firewall. I want to improve my security to my system because every time I encounter a virus I automatically format my system and thats toxic to me.

Thank you for all your advices guys.

mevcit

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
I would suggest other firewalls due to the interaction with avast:

Online Armour
PCTools
Outpost Firewall Free
ZoneAlarm (last option)

What kind of interaction? I didn't notice any conflictions while using avast+comodo.

Nowadays im pissed off by hips protection. ;D so i use Windows 7 firewall and Vista/Windows 7 Firewall Control. and a-squared hijack free is enough to examine some important elements on my system. btw, those who just want a basic firewall can install comodo as well without defense+ protection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »
What kind of interaction? I didn't notice any conflictions while using avast+comodo.
Well, it's my own experience on Vista. Comodo messed twice my installation so deeply or can't be installed correctly.
Sometimes, the interaction of both (Comodo and avast) will give you crashes and lags.
In some computers, they work fine. Go figure...
The best things in life are free.

Jahn

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:24:02 AM »
Well, it's my own experience on Vista. Comodo messed twice my installation so deeply or can't be installed correctly.
Sometimes, the interaction of both (Comodo and avast) will give you crashes and lags.
In some computers, they work fine. Go figure...
No crashes or lags here on XP SP3 with CIS 3.9 (firewall and D+ [HIPS]) and the current version of Avast. Tech, is your Vista machine 64 bit? From reading the forums, that seems to still be a problem using Comodo with any av program.

acidkillz2001

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »
Guys,

My system security is Avast + MBAM (paid version) + OutpostFirewallPro 2009 w/ Web Control Enabled + SpywareBlaster.
Is this good enough to protect my system? Pls advice

Thanks again  :)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:33:31 AM by acidkillz2001 »

pranaysharma94

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
If you have avast then how is the resident scanner for the anti spyware module working (Outpost firewall PRO) . Mine isnt. It is all grayed out...

acidkillz2001

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
I didnt install the anti-spyware in outpost only webcontrol

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »
Guys,

My system security is Avast + MBAM (paid version) + OutpostFirewallPro 2009 w/ Web Control Enabled + SpywareBlaster.
Is this good enough to protect my system? Pls advice

Thanks again  Smiley

Certainly is good enough. Granted your defense plan will always need to be maintained, and you will have to update as the circumstances require. Well done.