Author Topic: Avast doesn't start, Error 126, Can't uninstall - Help, please!  (Read 14713 times)

Jorolat

Hi ya,

I left my computer on overnight to upload a video, but when I got up this morning the avast! (home edition) icons were missing from the tray.

When I tried to start avast! manually, I got the following error message:

"Error basInitLibrary - initialization of basic library failed! Check out INI file or install program, please. Error: 126"

I downloaded avast! again, but couldn't uninstall the existing version,I just got, "Uninstall failed".

avast! automatically updates itself so I'm pretty sure I've got the latest of everything.

I also tried 2 system restores (I got Windows XP Home) and now I'm stuck.

Any help would be appreciated - as you may well imagine! :)

John Latter / Jorolat

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avast doesn't start, Error 126, Can't uninstall - Help, please!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:43:28 AM »
-= You may try to Repair avast installation via Add or Remove Programs --> Avast! Antivirus --> Change/Remove --> Scroll down and select Repair..

-= If it fails, Avast! Removal Tool can be used..

-= Please notify us if all the steps failed so we can continue to try our best to help solve the problem..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Jorolat

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »
-= You may try to Repair avast installation via Add or Remove Programs --> Avast! Antivirus --> Change/Remove --> Scroll down and select Repair..

-= Please notify us if all the steps failed so we can continue to try our best to help solve the problem..

Thank you for your reply, Fenrir, I have to go offline soon so I'll let you know how I got on later.

John Latter

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »
That's strange... sounds like some avast! files were removed, avast! itself teminated... I'd suspect some malware maybe?

Jorolat

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »

Hi Again, Fenrir. I tried the repair tool, but ended up having to use the Avast! Removal Tool.

Everything went OK with the installation although it was very slow (or seemed so to me).

After I re-booted there was a VB Generator (I'm not sure if that's the right name) icon in the tray, but nothing else.

I clicked on the merge icons option and nothing happened except the first icon disappeared.

When I tried to start Avast! using the desk-top short-cut, I got the same error message as before :(

John

Jorolat

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
That's strange... sounds like some avast! files were removed, avast! itself teminated... I'd suspect some malware maybe?

I do hope not, igor!

John

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
-= Seems like we have to follow Igor's response..

-= Download Malwarebytes Antimalware, install, update & run a scan.. It would be nice if the result would be posted..

-= You may also consider downloading TrendMicro Hijack This & post a log file [attaching it in your post would be better]..

-= Do you have any other antivirus(es) before/alongside avast..?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:42:14 AM by -= Fenrir =- »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Jorolat

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
-= Seems like we have to follow Igor's response..

-= Download Malwarebytes Antimalware, install, update & run a scan.. It would be nice if the result would be posted..

-= You may also consider downloading TrendMicro Hijack This & post a log file [attaching it in your post would be better]..

-= Do you have any other antivirus(es) before/alongside avast..?

Okey-doke, Fenrir, thank you very much for the links and help :)

I'll download them now, but may not be able to post until tomorrow.

John

Jorolat

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
Er, despite good intentions, I did click on remove and all but one were deleted immediately.

I had to reboot in order to remove last one, but no pop-up or anything has said whether it was successful or not.

Here's the 2nd report from before reboot:

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\Program Files\ScriptSentry\ScriptSentry.exe "%1" %*) Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\BtHook.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I'll now try Hijack-this

John

Jorolat

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
Wow, Hijack-this was really fast!

Anyway, I've attached the logfile ('fingers crossed' that these and the earlier results will fix the problem!).

John

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
Looks fairly standard routine you've gone through, John.
Your computer should be clean again for now. All things going well.

However, the following suggests that you have some weaknesses in your security, which should really be sorted out once your up and running, so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

I left my computer on overnight to upload a video, but when I got up this morning the avast! (home edition) icons were missing from the tray.

Don't hesitate to ask, and the forum will help you put together an airtight defense.

Edit - sorry I posted same time as your HjT came through. Someone will attend to it before long.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:13:37 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Jorolat

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Looks fairly standard routine you've gone through, John.
Your computer should be clean again for now. All things going well.

However, the following suggests that you have some weaknesses in your security, which should really be sorted out once your up and running, so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Don't hesitate to ask, and the forum will help you put together an airtight defense.

Thanks, mkis, I'm really pushed for time at the moment, but is there anything I ought to do about the Hijack-this report?

During its scan, a pop-up said I had loads of entries beginning with "O1" and I should consider deleting my Hosts file.

Presumably it is safe to do that, only I've forgotten where its hidden (I'm sure I'll find it somehow).

The offer on help in putting together an airtight defense sounds pretty good :)

I just tried the shortcut to Avast! and I'm still getting the original error. I didn't really expect to work - I suppose I have to uninstall and reinstall again?

John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »
This is strange as I wasn't aware of any such HJT function to alert in this way, I though it just gathered data and 'you or others' analysed that data.

The O1 entries redirect liveadvert.com to livetechnology.com (that is where the IP addresses are.
I would fix 'all the O1 Hosts entries in HJT,' I don't know if that also clears the entries within the hosts file.

HOSTS file redirect a common malware tactic to block AV sites making it difficult to remove malware - 127.0.0.1 check your HOSTS file using notepad or a text editor of your choice, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or do a search for HOSTS to find it if not there.

Once open you are looking for those entries that are listed in the HJT log and delete those lines. Also look for other entries with avast.com on the line, you may well see other AV sites, post the contents of the hosts file. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
Dont delete your hosts file.

There are some things you need to do. But I would prefer that someone advised on your HjT log first. I'm not an expert on these logs, but at first glance looked like a fairly heavy infestation of spyware type malware but maybe something a bit deeper not helping things.

Edit - okay you got some help. If you look at my profile below, you will see that I protect my hosts file from intrusions.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:25:58 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Jorolat

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
Thank you for the replies, chaps :)

I've just about had time to read them, but now I have to go. I'll be back tomorrow.

John