Author Topic: Can Avast Anti-virus cause IE 7 and 8 to halt browsing.....??  (Read 2591 times)

skywagon

I have a Vista based notebook with all the update.  Avast! has always been my anti-virus filter since getting rid of Norton years ago.  Internet Explorer (IE) has always seem to have a problem with either the Zonealarm firewall or Avast.  After browsing for a while, or if the computer is left inactive for some minutes or more, when I come back, IE no longer can find a website.  It states that it sent the web ULR and "waiting for a reply".  The only way that I can get IE working again is by rebooting the computer.  Then, things all reconnect until that next time it gets stopped.... Any ideas about what is going on and fixing this nuisance greatly appreciated.  This problem has been with IE7 and now, the newly downloaded IE 8.  Skywagon...

cinchez

Re: Can Avast Anti-virus cause IE 7 and 8 to halt browsing.....??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:47:34 AM »
Maybe ur problem lies around ZoneAlarm, ur firewall....

Check out its outbound settings^^

If memory serves me right, wrong settings may cause conflicts with ur internet connection^^

-AnimeLover^^

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:00:08 AM »
Welcome skywagon

ZoneAlarm comes in just behind Norton and McAfee as un-necessary software.

The Vista Firewall Control application from SphinxSoftware is quite good if you must have a software firewall:
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

I'm testing out their beta version for Windows 7.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:32:59 AM »
Hi skywagon, welcome to the forum.
As indicated above, ZoneAlarm is often the culprit with this sort of problem.
You have to open the ZA program for allowed connections, and delete anything belonging to Avast. Then when attempting to connect to the net via a browser again, ZA should ask for connection permission, to which you should respond "Allow" (or whatever the ZA equivalent is.)
This will reset the firewall permissions.

Another thing to do is to run the Noton Removal Tool even though you (apparently) uninstalled Norton some time ago, it leaves bits of itself behind. In fact, do this first.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.