Author Topic: Can I copy the chest folder to an external drive?  (Read 2926 times)

Steve2009

Can I copy the chest folder to an external drive?
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:19:25 AM »
I have some files in the chest that may or may not be infected. Sometime I might move them to their original location if they scan OK. How do I copy the chest folder to another location as a back-up?
I want to do this in case I ever have to restore my hard drive. Then I will have the chest backed-up along with my other important files/folders

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can I copy the chest folder to an external drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
Well, you can copy the whole <avast4>\Data\Chest folder.
However, note that it's a complete "state" of the Chest - you cannot merge the content with a different Chest, you can only overwrite it over a different Chest. (What I'm trying to say is that if you move some other files into the Chest of the newly installed avast! and then copy the backed-up Chest folder back, you'll lose the newly moved files and will be back at the original backed-up Chest content).

Also - I really don't know if it's necessary, but just for sure - it might be a good idea to stop avast! services (namely ashServ.exe - "avast! Antivirus" service) before overwriting the Chest with the backed-up copy). Also, it is probably necessary to disable avast! self-defense first.

All in all, maybe it's not worth the trouble ;)

di48lo

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
I have a similar problem. I have many files in the chest and 90% of them are HTML files, infected with a HTML virus. I can desinfect all the files manually, I just delete a specific line in the source - why can't avast do such an easy job, I don't know... Anyway, my system got infected again and I have to reinstall the system. The problem is, I can't browse files in the chest trough the avast program, and I can't recover them. The message: "Action was completed with errors!" appears.
So... I need to know for sure, if I reinstall the system, will the new avast be able to recover the chest files if I just simply copy them into the new chest folder?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
I need to know for sure, if I reinstall the system, will the new avast be able to recover the chest files if I just simply copy them into the new chest folder?
The chested files are deleted when avast is uninstalled.
You need to copy (backup) them before.
The best things in life are free.