Author Topic: Automatic Updates are quick?  (Read 5546 times)

AJones

Automatic Updates are quick?
« on: May 19, 2004, 02:11:43 PM »
Hi:

I have a Home edition of avast 4 that I recently downloaded and am using. I am happy to use Avast. I have tried other AntiVirus programs I find that other antivirus programs update with a larger file over a long period of time. While Avast updates really quickly within a minute. Is it really updating the Virus definition files?

Thanks,
Alan

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Automatic Updates are quick?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 02:15:14 PM »
The updates of the virus definition file usually have a few kB, sometimes a few tens of kB. So, you can count yourself how long it takes to download it...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »
Is it really updating the Virus definition files?

Yes Alan!  8)
The virus definitions files (VPS) are incremental and are the fastest I could found in a antivirus program!  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 07:54:04 PM »
The incremental-update system is a delight, even on a slow connection.

I've suggested to the Lavasoft gang that they give some serious thought to revamping their system so it works the same way.  If you use Ad-Aware, like many of us do, you're well aware that currently each of their updates is complete rather than incremental, and can take a while to download and install.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

AJones

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 05:39:11 AM »
Glad to hear of the incremental feature. I had AVG earlier and AntiVir. I find AVAST to be better. Also there is a forum to discuss. I do have Spybot & Adaware. I have had intrusions from Viruses some how have managed to remove them sometimes with difficulty . Zone Alarm doesnt do much for Virus intrusion.  My Mozilla Broswer on a different computer always hijacks me to some diffrent webpage. I tried CSShredder, BOH monester without much relief. do any one know a better product.

Thanks,

A great Product.
Alan

Fast

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 10:54:59 AM »
Hi Alan, you could try "Hijack this" from this page : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

About Zone-Alarm: it's a firewall, not an antivirus-program.
You need both of them. Allthough you might not notice it, a firewall protects you in a way against certain new virii like Sasser.
So with Avast! and Zone-Alarm you're pretty safe. :)

Fast

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 11:05:38 AM »
Another thing Alan: if you use WindowsMe or XP, don't forget to turn system-restore OFF before trying to remove the hijacker, and to reboot and then turn system-restore back ON again, otherwise you'll never get rid of it  ;D

Bye.