Author Topic: Newbie to Avast Here with a problem  (Read 3730 times)

Lady Hawk

Newbie to Avast Here with a problem
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »
I have been a user of AVG, just got AVAST when friends on Firefox site recommended it very highly. However, I am withholding my judgment for now. I can not get it to scan my email account. The help contents says I should find a Wizard thru the (start>programs>Avast>Wizard)  WELL IT ISN'T THERE!! I use Incredimail as well as Gmail accounts. Is there anyone who can help me before I go back to AVG? :-\

Thank You, 

Lady Hawk

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Newbie to Avast Here with a problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:49:47 AM »
Hello Ladyhawk, welcome to the forum.

There is a specific email provider (or module) included with Avast. It is designed to scan email arriving via an email client, such as Thunderbird or Outlook Express. Mail in a Gmail or Incredimail account, if accessed through the browser rather than an email client will be scanned by the webshield and the standard shield. (Unless the connection is https, in which case it will only be scanned upon opening, I think.)

If you left click the tray icon, the resulting window contains information concerning all providers installed during installation of the program. The maximum number is 7. They are: Standard, Web Shield, Network Shield, Email, Outlook/exchange, and P2P.
If any of the programs the shield is designed to protect is not running, the provider will have the message "the provider is waiting for a sub-system to start." (If you never use that sub-system, the provider can be terminated.)

If you removed AVG correctly and used the removal tool Avast should work correctly.
If you have the remnant of almost any other AV still on the computer (example Norton or McAfee) it is likely there would be a conflict, and the appropriate removal tool should be run.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »
By the way, the "Wizard" is found in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4" and the file name is "ashPopWiz.exe", but as stated, it is only for POP email clients.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
Mail Wizard is only present (because it's necessary only there) on Windows 98 and Me.
Incredimail will be scanned by Internet Mail provider.
GMail uses SSL connections and with avast 4, you can only scan them using 3rd party tools.
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.

Also, to see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS XXXXXX-X, XX/XX/2008), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/
The best things in life are free.