Author Topic: Avast don't detect specific VIRUS  (Read 8552 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast don't detect specific VIRUS
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
My submissions always include the forum link (if applicable) and also the VT results when I have checked it against VT. So there is absolutely no excuse for it not being analysed and included in a reasonable time frame. Not to mention I include my email address which by now I would have though would be on some filter.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
avast! still sucks on adding submitted viruses- it can take months/years/never happen.
Compare Avira which has a web submission page and automatic reply within 24 hours to tell you if it's malware or not.
The least avast! could do is check out files submitted to the forum to avoid embarrassing threads like his one!
We always ask for a better submission process. We always ask for a privileged channel for forum users.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 11:42:41 PM »
Quite disappointing.
Bit of a let down, really.
I've just re-submitted it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 07:21:43 AM »
LOL even if you reanalyze the file in virus total there are some antivirus that dont detect it anymore like NOD32 and kapersky, it appears they remove the detection accidentally
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

RandomUserName

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »
LOL even if you reanalyze the file in virus total there are some antivirus that dont detect it anymore like NOD32 and kapersky, it appears they remove the detection accidentally
Its just glitch in Virustotal.
On fully updated NOD32 and Kaspersky trial versions they detect the virus.

richo

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »
I had a similar experience with a virus I was sent. Avast didn't detect it, but it was obviously a virus so I didn't let it run. I checked it at Virus Total to find most AV's detecting it as a virus, but not Avast. I submitted it to Avast about 2 weeks ago with no joy. Not detected still. Like you I feel a little let down.

Overall, my brain tells me this is a numbers game. Avast has good detection rates, better than many alternatives. But my heart tells me that there is a virus I encountered that I wasn't protected from, by my AV anyway. Realisticaly the only important detection for any individual is the last one you encounter yourself. If your AV misses that virus ... well... then it was useless for you. That's how it feels anyway. While I'm sure the burdon of submissions may be very high, this is mostly from users who want to help with a product they use & depend upon. It would be nice to see some form of acknowlegement of submitted suspious files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 02:41:54 AM »
I submitted it to Avast about 2 weeks ago with no joy. Not detected still. Like you I feel a little let down.
Shame...
Where are the virus analysts? :P

It would be nice to see some form of acknowlegement of submitted suspious files.
Hope they implement this soon...
The best things in life are free.