Author Topic: Uninstall Of Avast Email Still Does Not Work  (Read 6216 times)

chaos

Uninstall Of Avast Email Still Does Not Work
« on: May 16, 2004, 12:25:28 PM »
I installed avast to give the program a try and it disabled my email program
saying my email address is invalid and the hostname to my email account is invalid.  I ran uninstall for the program and tried your avast removal tool and my email programs on both computers are screwed up. Please tell me how to remove your product I can't get email for a week.

It seems to be like gain/gator and keeps coming back
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 12:32:12 PM by chaos »

shgoh

Re:Uninstall Of Avast Email Still Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:01:30 PM »
make sure your email settings...

pop/smtp servers are NOT 127.0.0.1....they should be something like pop.mail.com

and your login name is NOT something like name#pop.mail.com....but is just your loginname

if you are still interested to try avast....we people here in this forum can help you with your config problems

chaos

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 01:03:32 PM »
Ran a deep search just now finding bits and piece of the program scattered all over the hard drive. I use winxp professional. Please give advice I wish to have this software removed.

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 01:07:22 PM »
the removal tool should work well!

did you use the correct one for the avast4?

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/avclear4.exe

chaos

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 01:07:51 PM »
Exactly I use
mail.bellsouth.net as the servers
and my login name I use just my name
email address...put pop in there and the server says that is a wrong address.  Only email software that will work is Outlook Express and I freaking hate that program

I sure did use the avast4 removal tool it's sitting on the desktop now. I can just do a search for avast and there are like 12 leftovers after using both the uninstall and the cleaner

« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 01:09:40 PM by chaos »

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 01:13:01 PM »
i'm sorry that avast causes you so much troubles...and i'm not too sure what actually happened in your case...can you please be a little patient and the alwil people will comment on this as soon as they can...thanks..

by the way...what email client you use?

chaos

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 01:18:08 PM »
I usually just used Mozilla's built in mail -says my email address in invalid

Tried Mozilla Thunderbird -email address is invalid

Eudora-Can't connect to server

Tried some litttle program called Netmail-Can't connect to server

Outlook Express with the same settings processes the mail right through.

I have two computers trashed like this, my desktop and notebook.

shgoh

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 01:20:54 PM »
this is weird though...i've been using mozilla mail & thunderbird without encountering any problems with avast...i'm sorry that i can't help much in your case....but then there's surely some others who can help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 02:37:34 PM »
Hi Chaos,
Very apt naming, you say that there are remnants (scattered all over the hard drive) of avast left behind (Where ?) I too use XP pro and there could be elements in your 'program files' folder and in your C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\ folder. Other than those two locations, the usual program installation entries in registry, windows\system32 (which happens with the majority installations, no different from avast).

There could be references to avast in registry, a registry cleaner would show these references, I use RegCleaner.exe and it has a 30 day un-restricted trial period, but at less than $US13 it is not expensive.

If you have used a different location to install avast other than the default 'C:\Program Files\Alwil\Avast4', then aparently you need to ensure that you point to the correct folder (crib from Avast F.A.Qs).

How to uninstall avast! 4 using AvClear4:
  • Download AvClear4.exe on your desktop
  • Execute it
  • If you installed avast! in different folder than default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)

• Click REMOVE
  • Restart your computer
[/i]
If after all the problems you have had, perhaps you may be lucky and find that the Email Protection Wizard (ashPopWz.exe) still exists in the avast4 directory, perhaps you can run the wizard and reverse the email protection.

You might also want to do a search of this forum for Manual setting of mail protection, as this could help you reverse the email protection settings. Unfortunately since you have tried to un-install a file that could be helpful to you ("C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\HELP\help.chm") may have been removed.

I'm sure that as others mention, it would be better to resolve the initial problem/s you had and gain the protection of avast.

HTH - David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chaos

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 08:50:02 PM »
Ok calmed down a bit, how do I set up avast to not alter email settings, or change the settings back, I used the  mail protection wizard and used the automatically remove protection from email accounts but still no other email program can access email except outlook express. The other email programs
will either say the email account is invalid, or the section to enter the email account greys out.