Author Topic: Submitted files to the Avast virus lab  (Read 10567 times)

Barrie

Re: Submitted files to the Avast virus lab
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 04:46:10 AM »
Hi Mike,

I have a lot of saved Malware as I  take part in AV beta testing so it is good to have both old and new in an arsenal for this purpose, and to be fair found the Avast engine not  bad defiantly but not perfect, that is an unattainable % for any AV and I have never seen a vendor put that in writing. One area that it did not seem to see what I had was a few infected IFrames, I would have looked at the web shield module first for these detections and if missed then the Guard, but there was nothing.  :-[

I was testing for personal use and do not see that your submission procedure would in any way benefit either myself or your users as I WANT CLARIFICATION regarding any submitted files I send in to the lab which this software package will not do / allow. And the real crazy thing is even if I did send a file in it would not be picked up until there was an update, what the heck is that about defiantly no urgency here.  ???

We could go on discussing this for many days but I will stand by what I have said. And again wish all here well and safe surfing. :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:40:53 AM by Barrie »

Mike Buxton

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 12:16:37 PM »
Barrie,

Out of the blue you raise a new concern. Now, you appear to be saying that Avast did not detect some infections. However, whereas your good wishes are worthless to Avast users the submission of those detections might be of help to some of us.

Please read my precise words without your unnecessary interpretation of them. They were:
Since you have not personally reported a single infection or FP you should have concluded the Avast engine is significantly better than "not bad" and that it did a perfect job for you.

Avast is exceptionally effective, as evidenced by independent tests. So I ask how many 100 thousand malwares do you have stored, how many you tested, and how many Avast failed to detect?

You have repeatedly stated what you want so please do not bother to regurgitate that view.

My regards

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:18:57 PM by Mike Buxton »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
Btw, if you follow some malware-related forums, you know that sometimes a user sends a file sample to ten antivirus companies (who do send the analysis results) - and half of them reponds that the file is infected, another half that the file is clean. So, the question is whether it's really of any good.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some response-system in place (and I hope it will be in the future, but the underlying infrastructure has to be built first) - but I'm not sure how much you can rely on that (especially in the case of false positives - where you basically don't trust your antivirus if you're asking for confirmation - so why should you trust that?)

Barrie

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »
If all you are interested in is test result then look here at what AV-Comparatives say for there 2008 results.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/summary/summary2008.pdf

And for even more detail here
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests/summary-reports

Tests mean not a lot it is how we the end users find how what ever the relevant software works and reacts to the every changing Malware that continually bombards us.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
i wonder what You trying to say ?
You think Igor as part of the Alwil team isn't aware of AV comparatives test theirs product took part in ?

not to mentionny any 'security aware' person on this forum is already aware of AV comparatives existance and tests :)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
but the underlying infrastructure has to be built first
Some things I can't understand... why does a company like Alwil can have more employees to do this kind of web work?
The best things in life are free.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »
Tech,

Perhaps, just perhaps, because people are the greatest assets but costs walk in on legs.

My regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »
I know about costs, work with them...
But, why does a company like Alwil take so long to implement some things... I know some of them are laborious, but, even on them we need to wait molasses sometimes ::)

Barrie

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 12:53:13 PM »
Costs for any AV company must be paid for at the end of the day out of funds that have been generated via subscription users contributions and sales but just maybe Alwil is in a position that it has more free users than paid  ???so implementing simple procedures would become financially unacceptable.
Either way I have not come across a major AV player that does not offer this basic user Malware backup service.

And I hope it is noted that in no way have I tried to push any other AV on to this forum board but just posted comment what I have found to be a failing buy trialling Avast free, and if users here are not happy about my observations they should be taking this up with Alwil`s Mods and internal boarders and push for changes. You are the end users of the product and as such are the ones that drive it. This is when you really find out just what the company think of your suggestions and views.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:56:20 PM by Barrie »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
Alwil is in a position that it has more free users than paid
This is true.

so implementing simple procedures would become financially unacceptable.
Alwil is a very profitable company.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
Barrie,

You have told us not one iota about any test(s) you may have done on Avast. So you are surely economical with the truth.

You have tried to sew dissatisfaction amongst Avast users by your supercilious inferences that Avast is not a first rate product.

With the smallest degree of gumption and/or research your initial question was redundant before it was asked.

In short, you are a troublemaker who adds nothing useful to this forum.

Barrie

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
Mike,

I have tested Avast and in my view user support in the area I have talked about re submitting malware is lacking, end of story.
 :-X

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Begin story some other forum Who Ever, or go to Wishlist and post request --

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.0
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 05:36:46 AM »
To Barrie or whomsoever,

You are entitled to your opinion but there was not a single substantive personal fact and certainly no story.