Author Topic: multiple AV's & spyware apps  (Read 2732 times)

snazzzzzz

multiple AV's & spyware apps
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »
I've read several posts where it was advised that running 2 AV's and Spyware apps. should be avoided, the premis being that they cancel each other out and rendering the systems protection that they provide useless and thats SO true, however multiple AV's or spyware can be of benefit as long as the residency is disabled so u can then run the second AV as back up  i.e...Spybot (teatimer).

As u are well aware no AV or spyware IS 100% effectve thus multiple apps reduces the chances of getting a virus. 

I've been using multiples for years now but only on demand but killing the residency of the primary first.
I use to muse Kaspersky internet security 7.0 as my primary but when I started getting too many F/P and a problomatic firewall I started using individual apps and stayed away from suites.

Please enlighten me if I'm mistaken, the more knowledge I pick up from others, it can only serve to make me and others better protected.   

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: multiple AV's & spyware apps
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »
Don't mix the two different applications types, AV are different from AS (anti-spyware), whilst there are some areas of crossover they are different classifications.

So you should only have one resident, on-access scanner in each type, never two resident AVs, or two resident ASs.

You can add on-demand scanners to each type to provide a back-up/compliment the resident application.

Some people have managed to get away with two resident AVs but this is more by luck than design, AVs install low level device drivers to intercept/hook files to be scanned before they run and it is these low level drivers that can conflict. This could be as simple as only duplicate scanning of the same file to a full blown conflict freezing/locking the system as they fight for control. This can actually happen very early in boot too resulting in a failure to boot.

So there will always be a risk of this conflict even if until now they have got away with it. Even if they disable one resident, the low level driver still runs unless you do some surgery to the registry, etc. to disable that too, to have to go to those lengths makes it just easier to uninstall one of them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:08:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »
As u are well aware no AV or spyware IS 100% effectve thus multiple apps reduces the chances of getting a virus.
You do not increase protection. You're just getting a second opinion as the other product is not resident.
It's very good if the program has cleaning features. For testing only, you can use virustotal and even on-line scanning.
The best things in life are free.

snazzzzzz

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
Don't mix the two different applications types, AV are different from AS (anti-spyware), whilst there are some areas of crossover they are different classifications.

So you should only have one resident, on-access scanner in each type, never two resident AVs, or two resident ASs.

You can add on-demand scanners to each type to provide a back-up/compliment the resident application.

Some people have managed to get away with two resident AVs but this is more by luck than design, AVs install low level device drivers to intercept/hook files to be scanned before they run and it is these low level drivers that can conflict. This could be as simple as only duplicate scanning of the same file to a full blown conflict freezing/locking the system as they fight for control. This can actually happen very early in boot too resulting in a failure to boot.

So there will always be a risk of this conflict even if until now they have got away with it. Even if they disable one resident, the low level driver still runs unless you do some surgery to the registry, etc. to disable that too, to have to go to those lengths makes it just easier to uninstall one of them.

Point taken and yes of course I mdo uninstall followed by a complete and total surgery (as u put it) of the registry before I even  THINK of adding a second AV for o n demand scan and only when a warrarented situation occurs if not I a firm believer of online scans (safe mode with networking) to accomplish a second opinion for lack of a better word.

Thanks.

Snazzzzzz