Author Topic: Web Browsing with Avast! Pro 4.8.1335 is very slow  (Read 9535 times)

leighwardle

Re: Web Browsing with Avast! Pro 4.8.1335 is very slow
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »
Pausing the provider still routes the traffic through the proxy Terminating the Web Shield is preferred until resolved, rather than disabling on-access protection (all) leaves you very vulnerable.
<snip>
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Previous AVs could still be an issue.

Thanks, David.

I terminated the Web Shield - that seems to have fixed the problem.
<snip>

You're welcome.

As has been said my suggestion to terminate the web shield was a temporary measure so you don't have to completely disable on-access protection.

You didn't answer my other question about a previous AV as this could be very relevant.

Did you do a clean install of avast or just uninstall/reinstall ?
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Hi David,

I followed those instructions and web browsing is still very slow.

after the uninstall, boot, running the uninstall utility and reboot, try putting Online Armor into learning mode before reinstalling avast.

Sorry I overlooked putting Online Armor into learning mode before reinstalling avast.

Regards,
Leigh

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
Your problem really has been identified in the image posted here, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46177.msg387510#msg387510 and subsequent posts, OA also has a web scanning function.

<snip>
Sorry but running both functions that effectively try to do the same thing is asking for possible conflict. As I said earlier the avast Web Shield providers greater protection against, on-line malware (after all it is an AV) and the current most common attack, hacked sites (which few other AVs are even checking for much less effective at detection).

So by duplicate scanning your browsing is going to be slower, so you have to make a choice which to keep enabled and I know which I would suggest from my quote above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leighwardle

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:43 AM »
Your problem really has been identified in the image posted here, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46177.msg387510#msg387510 and subsequent posts, OA also has a web scanning function.

<snip>
Sorry but running both functions that effectively try to do the same thing is asking for possible conflict. As I said earlier the avast Web Shield providers greater protection against, on-line malware (after all it is an AV) and the current most common attack, hacked sites (which few other AVs are even checking for much less effective at detection).

So by duplicate scanning your browsing is going to be slower, so you have to make a choice which to keep enabled and I know which I would suggest from my quote above.

Thanks, David.

Sorry that I had not made it clear - I have disabled Online Armor's Web Shield and Mail Shield.
What else could be making Avast web browsing slow?

Regards,
Leigh

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 01:25:46 AM »
The only thing that I can think of is you are using a beta build of OA as this isn't being reported by other OA users. This can be one of the issues with testing beta software, more so when it is a security application. You could try uninstalling the beta build and re-install that last stable version.

Other than this I really don't know what to suggest as I don't use OA.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leighwardle

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 01:38:39 AM »
The only thing that I can think of is you are using a beta build of OA as this isn't being reported by other OA users. This can be one of the issues with testing beta software, more so when it is a security application. You could try uninstalling the beta build and re-install that last stable version.

Other than this I really don't know what to suggest as I don't use OA.

Hi David,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's puzzling as I have had both OA 3.5.0.20 and Avast Professional v4.8.1335 working together happily for a few weeks.

Regards,
Leigh

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 01:43:44 AM »
You're welcome, I hate mysteries too.