Author Topic: Web Browsing with Avast! Pro 4.8.1335 is very slow  (Read 9534 times)

leighwardle

Web Browsing with Avast! Pro 4.8.1335 is very slow
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:44:01 PM »
Hi,

I have Avast! Pro 4.8.1335 installed on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Avast has been working fine with all capabilities for many months.

The last 2 days or so I've noticed web browsing is incredibly slow - web pages that normally take 5 seconds take 60 seconds or more...

Pausing the providers one at a time from the top makes no difference.
Only by switching off On-Access protection can I get back to normal performance.

The only other security software that I am running is Online Armor 3.5.0.20.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Leigh

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Browsing with Avast! Pro 4.8.1335 is very slow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
Pausing the provider still routes the traffic through the proxy Terminating the Web Shield is preferred until resolved, rather than disabling on-access protection (all) leaves you very vulnerable.

What has changed recently before this happened as there is something else in the mix, the web shield should make little impact as you found before, so it should either work or not work rather than see this kind of slow down.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Previous AVs could still be an issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »
Hello Leighwardle,

This is slightly off topic but,

I have done a manual update on the program just to check and the latest version is: 3.5.0.14 (check the image)

Have you got this right?

Besides this, follow DavidR's suggestions, they are the way to go.

-Scott-

leighwardle

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »
Pausing the provider still routes the traffic through the proxy Terminating the Web Shield is preferred until resolved, rather than disabling on-access protection (all) leaves you very vulnerable.

What has changed recently before this happened as there is something else in the mix, the web shield should make little impact as you found before, so it should either work or not work rather than see this kind of slow down.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Thanks, David.

I terminated the Web Shield - that seems to have fixed the problem.

Regards,
Leigh

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:56:22 AM »
This should only a temporary measure, until it is resolved

You should also answer the other questions (previous AV, recent changes etc.) that DavidR asked

-Also what about my reply regarding OA? --> Not as important though

-Scott-

leighwardle

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:58:23 AM »
Hello Leighwardle,

This is slightly off topic but,

I have done a manual update on the program just to check and the latest version is: 3.5.0.14 (check the image)

Have you got this right?

Besides this, follow DavidR's suggestions, they are the way to go.

-Scott-

Hi Scott,

Yes, I am running Online Armor 3.5.0.20 - it's a Beta.
I had trouble with the released version and the Tall Emu people put me on to 3.5.0.20.

You may be interested in the troubles I have had getting Avast and Online Armor 3.5 to coexist - see http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=8751
P.S. Do you exclude Online Armor 3.5 in Avast's settings?

Regards,
Leigh

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:35 AM »
But you're degrading protection is a considerable way. WebShield should be running, it's a must have provider to browse safely.

Can you activate logging in WebShield to help debug what's happening?
0. (Disable avast self-defense module: Program settings > Troubleshooting tab of settings.)
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file with Notepad (or use step 0 with other text editors).
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP\Vista (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

Oh, enable the self-defense module again after that if you have to follow step 0.
The best things in life are free.

leighwardle

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:16 AM »

This should only a temporary measure, until it is resolved

You should also answer the other questions (previous AV, recent changes etc.) that DavidR asked

-Scott-

Due to clashes between Avast and Online Armor (described in gruesome detail here: http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=8751), I have re-installed Avast and Online Armor about 6 times.
The slow web access issue has only happened after the last 2 re-installs.
I cannot think of anything else that has changed on my system.

I have been using various versions of Avast and Online Armor together for about a year...

Regards,
Leigh

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
I was using Online Armour some days ago (now with Outpost firewall free for some days until avast 5 is released with a firewall).
I had no problems on Vista Business 32bits + avast + Online Armour... My configuration is still more complicated with K9 and PeerGuardian.

leighwardle

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:42:44 AM »
But you're degrading protection is a considerable way. WebShield should be running, it's a must have provider to browse safely.

Can you activate logging in WebShield to help debug what's happening?
0. (Disable avast self-defense module: Program settings > Troubleshooting tab of settings.)
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file with Notepad (or use step 0 with other text editors).
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP\Vista (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

Oh, enable the self-defense module again after that if you have to follow step 0.

Tech, thanks for offering to look at this issue in detail.

AshWebSv.log is here: http://www.mincad.com.au/forum/files/temp/AshWebSv.log.
AshWebSv.ws is here: http://www.mincad.com.au/forum/files/temp/AshWebSv.ws.

Regards,
Leigh

Regards,
Leigh

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
Online armor has a web shield (look at the pic above)

could the two be conflicting?

I have not added any exclusions, as far as I remember OA recognised avast and gave it full access, and no problems from avast side

that previous issue was wierd, you chose ignore, but something else happened, maybe not avast related, don't know

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »
<snip>

Thanks, David.

<snip>

You're welcome.

As has been said my suggestion to terminate the web shield was a temporary measure so you don't have to completely disable on-access protection.

You didn't answer my other question about a previous AV as this could be very relevant.

Did you do a clean install of avast or just uninstall/reinstall ?
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

after the uninstall, boot, running the uninstall utility and reboot, try putting Online Armor into learning mode before reinstalling avast.

Edit:
Looks like spg SCOTT has found what the conflict might be (so the AV question may not be relevant) and probably not require a clean reinstall of avast, just disable the OA Web scanner option and start the Web Shield provider again and see if that works.

For sure I believe the the Web Shield provides much better protection.

Edit 2:
I would also suggest you also disable OAs Mail Shield as that too could conflict with avasts Internet Mail provider.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:58:59 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leighwardle

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:53:29 AM »
Online armor has a web shield (look at the pic above)

could the two be conflicting?

I have not added any exclusions, as far as I remember OA recognised avast and gave it full access, and no problems from avast side

that previous issue was wierd, you chose ignore, but something else happened, maybe not avast related, don't know

-Scott-

Hi Scott,

Avast and Online Armor are certainly conflicting, but all the evidence is that Avast is to blame - it has repeated deleted 5 of Online Armor's files - forcing reinstallation (documented here: http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=8751).  That's why I have attempted to use Avast's exclusion lists to protect those files.

It's all weird - right now I have both Avast and Online Armor fully enabled and my web browsing is fast!
When web browsing was slow I tried disabling Online armor's web shield, but it made no difference.

Regards,
Leigh

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 03:43:07 AM »
Tech, thanks for offering to look at this issue in detail.

AshWebSv.log is here: http://www.mincad.com.au/forum/files/temp/AshWebSv.log.
AshWebSv.ws is here: http://www.mincad.com.au/forum/files/temp/AshWebSv.ws.
Sorry, these logs are beyond my knowledge  :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
<snip>
Avast and Online Armor are certainly conflicting, but all the evidence is that Avast is to blame - it has repeated deleted 5 of Online Armor's files - forcing reinstallation (documented here: http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=8751).  That's why I have attempted to use Avast's exclusion lists to protect those files.

It's all weird - right now I have both Avast and Online Armor fully enabled and my web browsing is fast!
When web browsing was slow I tried disabling Online armor's web shield, but it made no difference.

Regards,
Leigh

I'm sorry but I see no such evidence to blame anyone, when programs are in conflict, remove one element, no conflict, that however doesn't confirm what is at fault or to blame.

Sorry but running both functions that effectively try to do the same thing is asking for possible conflict. As I said earlier the avast Web Shield providers greater protection against, on-line malware (after all it is an AV) and the current most common attack, hacked sites (which few other AVs are even checking for much less effective at detection).