Author Topic: Security flaws in Mac OS  (Read 3011 times)

LordDragonDan

Security flaws in Mac OS
« on: May 19, 2004, 08:55:21 PM »
Check out this article:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6228_11-5215638.html?tag=e019

They claim there is a flaw in the Mac OS X. I’m not trashing Mac. I just want to point out MacLover's statement: Avast needs a Mac version. Or more like Mac users need Avast. Please, I want a Mac but I want better AV than Norton offers.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:56:52 PM by LordDragonDan »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Security flaws in Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:24:08 AM »
oh now come on! This flaw is not critical! there are things 15x worse in windows that are still Unpatched! do they make a big deal of those windows flaws? of course Not! Mac has very few flaws. so when the do find one they blow it out od porportion!

My Idea for a Mac version Of avast:

Support MacOS versions

9.0.x
9.1.x
9.2.x
10.2.x
10.3.x
10.4.x (Tiger is not released yet)

Note 10.0 was a public beta ans should not be supported.

All versions lower than 8.6 are too old and many users have left them for newer OSes.

It would not be that bad to create a Mac AV.  Updates are Much Less Frequent and I can guarentee you I will post that on the Macworld forums for out 6,000 users to see
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 12:24:39 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

LordDragonDan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:23:22 AM »
Hi MacLover,

Actually they do make a point of addressing security flaws. However this is the first time I've received one for Mac. I just wanted to make the same point as you. Avast needs a Mac version! They protect every thing else so why not Mac? Your right though this isn't a big deal. Sounds like it would take a little too much work for virus writers considering how little they could accomplish. Windows is much easier and (unfortunately) much more wide spread.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 12:54:42 PM »
oh I rember flaws. But they were with the classic OS (6,7,8,9) OS X is hard to make viruses for in the fact that it is mabe up of a mix of UNIX and Mac OS. Still there are people who make viruses for it the Autostart series of worms hit many Mac users where it hurt. it totally messes up the system file forcing them to reformat their drive in OS 6-9
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 12:55:23 PM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay