Author Topic: Symantec, McAfee fined over unauthorised renewals  (Read 3136 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Symantec, McAfee fined over unauthorised renewals
« on: June 15, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
This news article it from the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper on June 12, 2009 when I read the paper and I've found the web link of this news article :o :o :o :o :o :o I thought you might like to know about this.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/security/symantec-mcafee-fined-over-renewal-process/2009/06/12/1244664838787.html

Symantec and McAfee have overhauled the way they handle Australian subscribers to their anti-virus products after they were fined $US750,000 ($922,000) by US authorities for routinely charging customer credit cards without permission.

New York's Attorney-General, Andrew Cuomo, investigated the two largest computer security software companies after receiving complaints and found they were charging customers to renew subscriptions without their knowledge or consent.

The investigation also revealed that both Symantec and McAfee made it difficult for consumers to contact them to opt out of automatic renewal or to request refunds for unauthorised credit card charges. Each was fined $US375,000.

"Companies cannot play hide the ball when it comes to the fees consumers are being charged," Cuomo said.

"Consumers have a right to know what they are paying, especially when they are unwittingly agreeing to renewal fees that will not appear on their credit card bill for months."

In the US, both companies agreed to be more upfront with customers when it comes to renewal fees and allow people to easily opt out of renewal.

Symantec Australia spokeswoman Debbie Sassine confirmed Symantec automatically renews subscriptions in Australia but she said the company was rolling out changes globally to improve the process.

"Specifically Symantec is making the ability to opt out of the auto-renewal feature more clear, accessible and user-friendly for our customers," she said.

Tim Clemens, enterprise sales director for McAfee in Australia, said it was also making changes to its subscription process but stressed auto-renewal was critical for customers, as if the software does not continue receiving updates the customer could become infected with a virus.

"Even a short, unintentional lapse could result in irreversible damage or irretrievable data loss," he said.

"McAfee will provide electronic notification to consumers before and after the subscription is renewed, and will provide refunds within 60 days to any consumers who request them."

The action by the US authorities will be a set-back for Symantec and McAfee, both of which are facing strong competition from free alternatives such as AVG.

This week, Microsoft said it would soon unveil a free anti-virus service for personal computers that will go head-to-head with products from Symantec and McAfee.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:46:52 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Symantec, McAfee fined over unauthorised renewals
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Ok, we know how tahat goes. But how the hell AVG got into this picture again? I'm still wondering. Why the hell is AVG so popular?
Why was it so popular few years back? None of the qualities are really outstanding, it doesn't provide anything exceptional and free version is heavily crippled. But whoever you ask about free antivirus, AVG is the first thing you'll hear. It's like Norton of free antivirus.
AVIRA free or avast! are like so much better, yet i rarely see them being mentioned anywhere. It's always AVG. Ugh. ::)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »
Ok, we know how tahat goes. But how the hell AVG got into this picture again? I'm still wondering. Why the hell is AVG so popular?
Why was it so popular few years back? None of the qualities are really outstanding, it doesn't provide anything exceptional and free version is heavily crippled. But whoever you ask about free antivirus, AVG is the first thing you'll hear. It's like Norton of free antivirus.
AVIRA free or avast! are like so much better, yet i rarely see them being mentioned anywhere. It's always AVG. Ugh. ::)
AVG does not get much recommendation on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) forum but avast! and Avira do.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
AVG seems to devote more efforts to add and press. But avast became much more known here in last years.
Maybe due to localization :)
The best things in life are free.

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:31:24 AM »
PC Tools Registry Mechanic did the same thing. Some of the companies really are contact after you buy!
Joe