Author Topic: Problems with Avast losing key  (Read 5065 times)

techbot

Problems with Avast losing key
« on: May 19, 2004, 09:07:44 PM »
I downloaded Avast business edition to try out here at work on mine and my bosses computer. I just installed this yesterday and thought it said that it had a trial period. Well, when I came in to work this morning it says the demo period is invalid and I have to purchase it! I thought the demo period lasted longer than 24hrs!

Pavel Baudis

Re:Problems with Avast losing key
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 10:40:49 PM »
Well, when I came in to work this morning it says the demo period is invalid and I have to purchase it! I thought the demo period lasted longer than 24hrs!

It is supposed to last 60 days, so this is not normal. Does it behave in the same way on both computers? Is the system date correct? Was correct in the time of installation? Did you ever have avast! installed in the past? What is your OS?

Pavel

techbot

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 10:57:47 PM »
 :o thats it! for some reason my computer resets the date to 5/16/2016 every morning...thats exactly the problem then. the antivirus thinks that its 12yrs later! lol

now if i could only figure out how to make it stop doing that...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 04:09:53 AM »
:o thats it! for some reason my computer resets the date to 5/16/2016 every morning...thats exactly the problem then. the antivirus thinks that its 12yrs later! lol

now if i could only figure out how to make it stop doing that...

This is a trojan behavior. Try to scan with avast and then with Ad-aware and Spybot.
Wellcome on board.
The best things in life are free.

techbot

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »
i do have adaware...and avast hasn't found anything :( really annoying. i have to change the date every morning

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 02:32:43 PM »
I have to change the date every morning

Definetively this is not good.
Why don't you install Spybot 1.3, run a scan and schedule a boot time cleaning (note: version 1.2 does not allow scheduling only the 1.3).  ;)

techbot

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 04:11:01 PM »
I ran a program I've had for a year or two called SwatIt. After updating its files it pulled two trojans out of a file that my boss has carried over from computer to computer  ::) go figure. It was one of her old game folders. She had downloaded this game from some link she was sent.
She still had to change the date though...so its back to square one

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 05:27:33 PM »
And right now, are you clean?  8)

techbot

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 05:42:06 PM »
Well, avast isn't pulling anything up, and SwatIt isn't either. I'm assuming that I am, but the date was still set at 5-16-2016 this morning. someone told me to do a boot scan before windows even starts. someone else told me that something may have gotten into my bios..

MHJ

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
Well, avast isn't pulling anything up, and SwatIt isn't either. I'm assuming that I am, but the date was still set at 5-16-2016 this morning. someone told me to do a boot scan before windows even starts. someone else told me that something may have gotten into my bios..

You should try the Panda Active Scan for 1 time.
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 11:06:22 AM by MHJ »