Author Topic: CD Recovery 1.0--conflict wirh Norton  (Read 2891 times)

lethedoom

CD Recovery 1.0--conflict wirh Norton
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »
My friend tried to download a freeware program named 'CD Recovery 1.0'  from

http://www.prvsoft.com/cd-recovery.html

and his Norton anti-virus program identified it as malware. I downloaded and scanned it with avast today using virus database 090617-0 and it was not flagged using 'thorough scan' sensitivity.

Please assure that avast has not made a false negative judgment rather than Norton identifying a false positive. I don't know what kind of malware norton thinks this is--if i find out I  will supplement this posting.

I guess I must apologize. My friend is technically adept and I trusted his e mail message, but when I pressed him for the details requested by responders here he would not supply any and backed off his statement. I am sorry to have wasted space and time here. This is what started my posting:

"Norton blocked this as malware."

> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: lethedoom
> > Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:44 AM
> > To: my friend
> > Subject: fyi
> >
> > you might want to acquire this free ware for your damaged  cd/dvd
> > recovery arsenal.
> >
> > http://www.prvsoft.com/cd-recovery.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:58:09 AM by lethedoom »

micky77

Re: CD Recovery 1.0--conflict wirh Norton
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
Please assure that avast has not made a false negative judgment

A false negative  ;D ;D ;D, what are you going to do,write to every AV company,and ask them to investigate a F.N.

The program is clean,I just ran it.( using Avira ) Funny thing,when i sent it to virus total, symantec said it was clean. So I don't really know what your on about

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CD Recovery 1.0--conflict wirh Norton
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page.

You don't say what the malware name was or the file name and location ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security