Author Topic: Time, it's all relative  (Read 9479 times)

gprzybyl

Time, it's all relative
« on: May 19, 2004, 11:03:36 PM »
  I've noticed that the time in the events window is +4 hours from the system time.  The time in the sessions window is +1 hour from the current system time.  Otherwise so far so good.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Time, it's all relative
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 11:05:27 PM »
Interesting. Does it have anything to do with the time zone set up on the systems??
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gprzybyl

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 11:08:21 PM »
I have one server client running for the purposes of the test in addition to the adnm machine.  Both machines are in the Eastern Time Zone (GMT-5).

gprzybyl

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 11:10:42 PM »
Something that might also be related or require a new thread is that I set up a discovery session with a Task Session expiration of 5 minutes.  Two and a half hours later it is still running.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 03:34:03 PM »
Something that might also be related or require a new thread is that I set up a discovery session with a Task Session expiration of 5 minutes.  Two and a half hours later it is still running.

Well actually this is a bit confusing option. It doesn't really mean what you expected. The task expiration setting governs how much time the task job entry stays in the job queue, waiting to be picked up by a worker. It does not govern the time the task is let to run... (run time quota)

Consider client-side tasks: they work in such a way that whenever the task is run, a new entry is placed to each machine's job queue (each machine the task should be run on). Now, some of the machines pick up this entry almost immediately, but some don't (e.g. they're turned off as the user is on vacation). The expiration entry says after how much time the entry is automatically removed from the queue (marking the run on this machine as 'timed out')...

Hope this clears it a bit,
Vlk
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 03:51:00 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.