Author Topic: Trojans & Rootkit from System (Drivers) in chest - delete or not?  (Read 3369 times)

xblazingpig

Avast was scanning my memory when it was opening and found a rootkit; trojans were found via boot-time scan Avast. They were immediately put in the virus chest.

I use Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. RustNT is a rootkit.

So - should I delete the above infected files or not? Or how do I remove them? As I had used GMER to detect the rootkit two weeks ago. I deleted the rootkit service. After that, GMER Rootkit Detector and Remover (gmer.net) didn't find it. But now the same rootkit file is back. How do I delete it for good? Help is much appreciated.

PS: I don't think I have a F: drive. I have local disks C: and E:, and Floppy Drive A: and DVD-RAM Drive D:.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:33:43 AM by xblazingpig »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Trojans & Rootkit from System (Drivers) in chest - delete or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 04:27:24 AM »
There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

What is your firewall ?
It should be capable of blocking unauthorised outbound Internet Connections. - What is your firewall ?

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

The F: was probably a USB Flash drive when connected to your system ?
So your flash drive might well be infected and the batch file, 2fiy.bat, could have been what brought in more guests.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of securty, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

Re: Trojans & Rootkit from System (Drivers) in chest - delete or not?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 03:02:46 PM »
{SNIP}
PS: I don't think I have a F: drive. I have local disks C: and E:, and Floppy Drive A: and DVD-RAM Drive D:.

Usually the F: is associated with external media, i.e. a memory stick (F is the drive letter for my memory stick on the PC)
Did you have anything like this plugged in during the boot scan?

You may need to use one of these:
Let your USB drive plugged and run Autorun Eater or Flash Disinfector, allowing them to clean up all drives. They would create hidden folders named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. These folders protect your drives from future infection. After that, reboot your computer.

-Scott-

EDIT:Sorry, I missed that you'd already answered that part, DavidR
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:04:19 PM by spg SCOTT »