Author Topic: Repair? Chest? Delete?  (Read 4160 times)

paintballer

Repair? Chest? Delete?
« on: May 20, 2004, 05:18:57 AM »
Ok, I am pretty new to AV software. So when I find a virus, should I delet it, clean it, or put it in the chest?

Which is the most effective, I find that I can NEVER repair a virus, so I split it evenly between deleting and putting them in the chest!

Help!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Repair? Chest? Delete?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:48:39 PM »
YES you can repair (and you should) Viruses

what you find you are unable to repair is not a virus but rather a worm or trojan.

so If you know it is a virus try to repair it and if that fails send it to the chest and post here on the forums.

if you know it is a worm or trojan delete it
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:41:28 PM »
I think Alwil guys should put some method that disables Repair button automatically when its meant for trojans. It just confuses users because avast! throws a message that it cannot be repaired which is normal for trojans that are always as standalone file and not an infection.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 04:57:34 PM »
I think Alwil guys should put some method that disables Repair button automatically when its meant for trojans.
Which Is a great feature if it exists
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »
what you find you are unable to repair is not a virus but rather a worm or trojan.

I might just be totally confused (again :P), but I'm fairly sure that another possible reason for not being able to repair is if the infected file is included in something legit that you added to your system after the most recent VRDB update -- i.e., there's no "clean" data to repair it with.

I think in that case you're specifically told it's missing from the database -- but that would obviously also be true for worms.  So the suggestion to have avast handle worms differently from "ordinary" viruses is an excellent one.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent