Author Topic: Vista issues?  (Read 25426 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Vista issues?
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2009, 10:50:22 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Negeltu

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »
Tech is right.  There is no way to view commit charge on the bottom of Vista's Taskman so proc explorer is the next best thing.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
Tech is right.  There is no way to view commit charge on the bottom of Vista's Taskman so proc explorer is the next best thing.

You're actually both wrong. It's still there, it was just renamed ... :)

Run task manager, select the performance tab and at the bottom under system it will show your total pagefile size and the amount being used at the moment. The value under pagefile(lef side) - amount of system ram = the amount of actual pagefile being used ...

More info on Task Manager in Vista:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/d119bbe6-f604-4eb1-9c75-bbbc45cce1da1033.mspx

Negeltu

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »
Tech is right.  There is no way to view commit charge on the bottom of Vista's Taskman so proc explorer is the next best thing.

You're actually both wrong. It's still there, it was just renamed ... :)

Run task manager, select the performance tab and at the bottom under system it will show your total pagefile size and the amount being used at the moment. The value under pagefile(lef side) - amount of system ram = the amount of actual pagefile being used ...

More info on Task Manager in Vista:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/d119bbe6-f604-4eb1-9c75-bbbc45cce1da1033.mspx

Actually I already knew that, but that isn't what he asked.  He asked if there was a way to show commit charge on the BOTTOM of the task manager like in XP.  Which is not possible.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
I think i understand(you know a screenshot would be nice) ... :)

Am i blind and stupid or does it actually show THE SAME THING(the current amount of virtual memory used) as in XP just that it's in percentages now ??!

EDIT: This is so weird lol , does Vista show the amount of virtual memory used down there or just the physical amount of ram being used ?  ;D

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:08:02 AM by darth_mikey »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
When are they going to start naming things properly ? The page file usage in task manager is actually the virtual memory size so why name it like that ? Or Commit Charge for that matter ? Weird isn't it ?

EDIT: Interesting, in win 7 it's just called Commit ...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:13:44 AM by darth_mikey »

Negeltu

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »

EDIT: This is so weird lol , does Vista show the amount of virtual memory used down there or just the physical amount of ram being used ?  ;D

Physical Memory is the actual RAM installed in the machine.  What is shown on the bottom right of the taskman in Vista is the total RAM in use.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
Yeah i know what physical memory means, it's just that i wasn't sure MS means the same thing as me lol. ;D It's bloody hard to understand what MS mean when they change the wording in every OS version. I just checked and it's the same in Vista and Win 7(on the bottom) ... But the Page File usage is now called just Commit. Still annoys me it's not called what it really is VIRTUAL MEMORY SIZE, wake up MS. :)

Negeltu

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
Yeah i know what physical memory means, it's just that i wasn't sure MS means the same thing as me lol. ;D It's bloody hard to understand what MS mean when they change the wording in every OS version. I just checked and it's the same in Vista and Win 7(on the bottom) ... But the Page File usage is now called just Commit. Still annoys me it's not called what it really is VIRTUAL MEMORY SIZE, wake up MS. :)

MS seems to live in a world where they make their own rules and definitions   ;D ;D

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »
It would appear so ... ;D