Author Topic: Commercial ads on Avast! ?  (Read 5987 times)

Chrizze

Commercial ads on Avast! ?
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
Tomorrow morning,when I opened The "On-Access Protection Control" menu,by right-clicking the icon on tray,I notified,to my horror,that there was a commercial ad tempting me to update to avast! Pro.

Is this temporary,or something permanent? I mean,lack of those "Tempting me to hack your software" ads was the main reason to choose avast in a first place.

When developers put those ads,and especially,chances to insert a code to make the software "Full" is giving an impression,that the software was never ment to use without "registration",just to serve as a teaser.

I want that professional looking Avast! home edition back,without tempting me to warez your programs!!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Commercial ads on Avast! ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
I believe the banner will stay in avast! 4.x - and I don't think that one static banner is that annoying.
avast! 5 will be released quite soon, and it will look completely different.

As for getting a warez version... well, feel free to do whatever you need to, but you may be in for quite a surprise.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:42:58 PM »
Hi Chrizze,

Welcome to the forum.
I believe the banner will stay in avast! 4.x - and I don't think that one static banner is that annoying.
avast! 5 will be released quite soon, and it will look completely different.

As for getting a warez version... well, feel free to do whatever you need to, but you may be in for quite a surprise.

I have noticed the add as well but (like Igor) I find it non-obtrusive. Compared to other security programs that bug you with pop-ups this is nothing.

I fully agree with Igor's comments about the warez version. You may not like the effects.

Cheers.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Chrizze

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
Yes, I know,I would not do warez,..they stop working anyway,and mess up my system,...but for a one banner,....It is kind of a annoying when you used to none. :D would there be banner in version 5?

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
sometimes i wonder why people are shocked by 1 simple picture inside as static ad already empty intert interface space area
in free product trying to inform you about other paid product of the same company ...

i think if it was just plain text 'ad' then people will complain too ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Chrizze

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 05:31:30 PM »
Well,the space was not "otherwise empty" that took space of it's own... and because it is visual ad,it starts to degrade that professional feeling and looking,as if it is not ment to use anyway..without upgrading,as I mentioned before.Perhaps I was afraid,that this one ad is starting downward spiral,after which there would be more ads... And surely I am aware of other products of the same company.... why not put exntensive ads to the installer,for an example...?  But,please,don't get too angry with me,I am a kind of perfectionist on some issues. :D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
Hi Chrizze,

You do not have to see it. Apparently you do not use Fx with ABP or yarip extensions or IE8 with the following bookmarklet:
Code: [Select]
javascript:(function(){function%20R(w){try{var%20d=w.document,j,i,t,T,N,b,r=1,C;for(j=0;t=["object","embed","applet","iframe"][j];++j){T=d.getElementsByTagName(t);for(i=T.length-1;(i+1)&&(N=T[i]);--i)if(j!=3||!R((C=N.contentWindow)?C:N.contentDocument.defaultView)){b=d.createElement("div");b.style.width=N.width;%20b.style.height=N.height;b.innerHTML="<del>"+(j==3?"third-party%20"+t:t)+"</del>";N.parentNode.replaceChild(b,N);}}}catch(E){r=0}return%20r}R(self);var%20i,x;for(i=0;x=frames[i];++i)R(x)})()Better make a point about Google and malverstising than lamenting about a legit banner that is not even third party and tweak your browser so you see the ads you want to see and block those you do not want to be confronted with,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Chrizze

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
Hmmm... what does A web browser has to do with this? I do use ABP,thank you. I don't think that web browser engine is used to show an ads inside another program? I could be wrong,of course....

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
Hi Chrizze,

No, you are right, I thought it was on a website. But it is something you get using the scanner, well everybody does it, DrWebCureIt has it. ClamWin does not  but that is open software off course.
You are right that it is something you do not like as a purist, some even had their websites completely ad-free like the late F.Ravia as a matter of principle. While avast home is a free spin-off of a commercial program advertising it is something else. If avast installed an additional toolbar not informing users that would be another issue, but this could be considered not that annoying. If you had to click it away every minute or so it would be nagware, and that it is not,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Pedro Hin

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
Tomorrow morning,when I opened The "On-Access Protection Control" menu,by right-clicking the icon on tray,I notified,to my horror,that there was a commercial ad tempting me to update to avast! Pro.

Is this temporary,or something permanent? I mean,lack of those "Tempting me to hack your software" ads was the main reason to choose avast in a first place.

When developers put those ads,and especially,chances to insert a code to make the software "Full" is giving an impression,that the software was never ment to use without "registration",just to serve as a teaser.

I want that professional looking Avast! home edition back,without tempting me to warez your programs!!!

I like the idea. I think the existence of such a banner might gently twist the arms of small (or large) businesses who are using Avast Home free version in their place of business to save a few bucks. In other words, a way to help honest people stay honest :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
A way to help honest people stay honest :)
I don't know if it is possible, but, maybe, avast Home shouldn't be avoided to run on Vista Business (for instance).
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »
avast! Home runs on any Vista edition (Vista is not a server OS).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 10:52:35 PM »
avast! Home runs on any Vista edition (Vista is not a server OS).
Just that HP and Dell sell computers to companies - like mine - with Vista Business edition.
I have it on my notebook used to work. I can't have avast Home in my work computer, so, that's the suggestion.
The best things in life are free.

norel

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 02:37:14 AM »
I just started using Avast! and this is my first post in this forum. Avast! is also my first try at a freeware antivirus program and compared with the incessant nagging you get with most commercial software, this is like heaven. If an ad or two helps generate business so this product can stay free, then I say more power to ya!

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »
I just started using Avast! and this is my first post in this forum. Avast! is also my first try at a freeware antivirus program and compared with the incessant nagging you get with most commercial software, this is like heaven. If an ad or two helps generate business so this product can stay free, then I say more power to ya!

Hi norel and Welcome to the forum.

Your point is valid but the joke is that I'm not sure the ad is meant to generate profit per say. It's placed in such an inconspicuous place that most users might not even see it more than once. I mean for 70% of the time I'm not even aware of Avast, until I get a blue pop-up informing me that the virus database has been updated. Ergo, not much of an ad.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.