Author Topic: Commercial ads on Avast! ?  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Commercial ads on Avast! ?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »
The original wording of the ad bothered me, rather than the fact an ad was there, but it has been changed after a few forum users pointed out that the wording was um..less than ideal.
Doesn't bother me at all, now.
There is no popup, no nag screen, the only sliding box is to do with program function.

This is harmless. And I hope it does generate a bit of extra revenue.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
The original wording of the ad bothered me, rather than the fact an ad was there, but it has been changed after a few forum users pointed out that the wording was um..less than ideal.
Doesn't bother me at all, now.
There is no popup, no nag screen, the only sliding box is to do with program function.

This is harmless. And I hope it does generate a bit of extra revenue.

Agreed, The wording was the only thing thing that bothered me. Since that's been changed, I have no problem with the ad.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:40:57 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

hlecter

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
This is my take on this:

Alwill is a commercial firm and need revenue.
Wihout revenue no free home version either.

In addition to that I see it once a week or two on my machines.
It doesn't bother me at all.

If anybody find it intrusive in any way, why not do as the 'ad' says: Upgrade to pro version of Avast!

The trend nowadays is software with opt-out 'gifts' that follow the installation and many don't discover
it before after installation which is in no way good.

Regards
HL

lorijryan

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »
I agree with Norel and the others who share his view: if all it takes is 1 small banner to keep this program free for home users; more power to it!

Sure beats paying 40 to 70 dollars for a program that probably is not near as good as Avast in the first place!

I'd also like to note that Avast! customer service treats it's free customers with all the care and respect that it offers it's paid customers (quick, personal, detailed, email fixes for your issues).....what more could be expected from a free program??

Although you are certainly entitled to your "purist" objections, my personal opinion is that the 1 small non-nagging banner is a non-issue.

A loyal Avast! user, Lori

privateofcourse

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »
I completely loathe and detest ads, I really do. But I nonetheless must defend Avast's right to stick that advert there. Yeah, it annoys me, but is hardly an in your face nag screen that bugs you. You only see it when you open the On Access protection.

For a lot of people upgrading to the pro version is just not an option or it isn't going to happen. So maybe being able to hide the ad by selecting a check box might be a better idea. Or even better, integrating a 'news' and banner window there to make it more functional.

It is irritating when you see it, and I sometimes accidentally click the pesky thing, but then that's me (I don't even watch commercial tele or listen to commercial radio with ads because they irritate me so much), but I definitely don't see Avasts ad as a big problem and I certainly wouldn't slam Avast for trying to promote their Pro version. I'm grateful for this nice bit of kit.

After switching from AVG to Avast Home I'm a very happy user indeed. I wish I'd switched a long time before.