Author Topic: Avast sets a safe program as a virus...  (Read 5104 times)

chicks8439

Avast sets a safe program as a virus...
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Current situation here requires the use of a keylogger. The program I need to use is one I have had, and used in the past, yet Avast wants to mark it as a virus. How do I get Avast to ignore this program, and allow it to run?

Mr.Agent

Re: Avast sets a safe program as a virus...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »
If its a virus why should you want to allow it to infect your pc ?

If you think its a false positive first post on www.virustotal.com the files and show us the result.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
What is the malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe
- Or check the source file using notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chicks8439

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:04:57 AM »
OK...read my post again...I clearly stated that this is a program I have had, and used in the past. It is not a virus. I have set Avast to ignore it, yet it continues to locate the program, and set it as a virus.
I have had this problem with other applications that I run as needed on all of my computers. This particular program I am running on XP Pro. I had to remove Avast from my laptop running Vista. It just did not function well in Vista, That I won't argue with since we all know that Vista is the worst mistake Microsoft has made since ME.

The program is named Family Keylogger. Its a small program, runs in the back ground. I have had this program for about 5 years, it is not a virus. I recently installed it on a friends computer, it was allowed to run even after a full scan run by McAfee Security Suite.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:38:25 AM »
I had to remove Avast from my laptop running Vista. It just did not function well in Vista, That I won't argue with since we all know that Vista is the worst mistake Microsoft has made since ME.

Not a huge Vista fan Either (I am waiting for the final release of windows 7) but I have two vista computers and Avast runs better than any other Program I've tried on them. And believe me its scanner is set on High and it still runs (and moderately well). So why be so mean about it?

it was allowed to run even after a full scan run by McAfee Security Suite.
No Comment.

Just follow DavidR's suggestions an that way you'll be able to make sure that it isn't a virus. If it turns out to be a false positive then that could be fixed.... it just requires a bit of extra patience.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:44:30 PM by Confused Computer User »
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
OK read my post again, its purpose it to 'confirm' that it is a false positive detection and post the results.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.

So that it can be corrected 'for everybody' using that program and avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:34:37 PM by Minacross »
MW

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
we all know that Vista is the worst mistake Microsoft has made since ME.

We don't know that at all. We know that a lot of people say that. Whether they are right or wrong is a whole other thing. First grumbles I heard bout Vista was too big to run on anything but 64bit, but was informed by local tech that he had ideal running on 32bit, and that seems to be borne out in the recent reviews. Windows Me was not a lot different than 986SE and is arguably better than 98 because it has System Restore, Media Player, and I think MMC admin console (I can't quite remember).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:33:14 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
we all know that Vista is the worst mistake Microsoft has made since ME.
Well... arguing but asking to not do so... Vista is a very good OS for me. Stable, better interface, no complains. For me, better than XP. Depends on which hardware you're trying to use Vista.
The best things in life are free.